• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Herniated Disc/Nucleus Pulposus

All,

Approximately 13 months ago I herniated my L4-L5 and L5-S1 from deadlifting at the gym (lol!). Diagnosed through MRI and orthopedic surgeon. I had some pain that was just treated non-surgically with oral NSAIDs and the pain just went away after a few weeks. No limitations on my physical abilities, ability to lift or bend, or range of movement or anything like that-e.g. I am back to being as good as new.

I am now in the process of looking for an SNA slot through OCS and I know that Herniated Nucleus Pulposus (HNP), the military's term for herniated disc, is a DQ condition from passing the Navy's flight physical, but a waiver will be "considered on a cases by case basis" according to the Navy's aeromedical waiver guide (https://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/Complete_Waiver_Guide.pdf ), page 284, Intervertebral Disc Disease section.

Has anyone recently gone through the waiver process for this condition? Or am I DQ'd for good...

Have a great day ya'll!

robav8r

None
Contributor
I had the same thing at the same location while I was a Rescue Swimmer. I had a discectomy and have been asymptomatic ever since. I also received an ejection seat waiver and flew successfully in S-3’s with no issues following my surgery and commissioning. What you are seeking is possible . . .

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I had the same thing at the same location while I was a Rescue Swimmer. I had a discectomy and have been asymptomatic ever since. I also received an ejection seat waiver and flew successfully in S-3’s with no issues following my surgery and commissioning. What you are seeking is possible . . .

So you're saying there's a 42% chance?

exNavyOffRec

All,

Approximately 13 months ago I herniated my L4-L5 and L5-S1 from deadlifting at the gym (lol!). Diagnosed through MRI and orthopedic surgeon. I had some pain that was just treated non-surgically with oral NSAIDs and the pain just went away after a few weeks. No limitations on my physical abilities, ability to lift or bend, or range of movement or anything like that-e.g. I am back to being as good as new.

I am now in the process of looking for an SNA slot through OCS and I know that Herniated Nucleus Pulposus (HNP), the military's term for herniated disc, is a DQ condition from passing the Navy's flight physical, but a waiver will be "considered on a cases by case basis" according to the Navy's aeromedical waiver guide (https://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/Complete_Waiver_Guide.pdf ), page 284, Intervertebral Disc Disease section.

Has anyone recently gone through the waiver process for this condition? Or am I DQ'd for good...

Have a great day ya'll!

What you are looking at is manual that is after you are already in the USN, N3M has a manual to see if they will even bring you in at all.

The best you can do is submit the documents, but I have not seen anyone get through MEPS and N3M that had a history of herniated disc, the fact you didn't have any surgery is a plus, but I can guarantee you if they decide to consider a waiver there will be many evaluations done on your back, and even then you could get to OCS and get DQ for aviation programs.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Meanwhile stop deadlifting and find something else. Once the herniations and ruptures start they will only repeat and get worse.

(Former deadlifter, current owner of an anterior posterior disc replacement and L5 S1 fusion with permanent hardware.)