• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hernia Repair

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
For the longest time, I've had a dime-sized ventral hernia, right in the center of my abs (in between, not where an ab is supposed to be). For my entire life, I've been able to run, squat, dead lift, and do sit ups with absolutely zero issue. Today I had a civilian physician look at it, and he said there's next to no chance it would ever grow into a source of trouble. But he also said that he knew nothing of military regulations in regard to such a thing.

The option is on the table to repair it. I've yet to go before a DoD physician, in fact I'm just beginning dialogue with my local NOR. My goal is to become a naval aviator.

Do I repair it? Do I ignore it, as I have all of these years? I have a few weeks to decide, my doctor said to just give him a call if it's determined a necessary measure.

exNavyOffRec

For the longest time, I've had a dime-sized ventral hernia, right in the center of my abs (in between, not where an ab is supposed to be). For my entire life, I've been able to run, squat, dead lift, and do sit ups with absolutely zero issue. Today I had a civilian physician look at it, and he said there's next to no chance it would ever grow into a source of trouble. But he also said that he knew nothing of military regulations in regard to such a thing.

The option is on the table to repair it. I've yet to go before a DoD physician, in fact I'm just beginning dialogue with my local NOR. My goal is to become a naval aviator.

Do I repair it? Do I ignore it, as I have all of these years? I have a few weeks to decide, my doctor said to just give him a call if it's determined a necessary measure.

I had 2 people that had hernia's that I sent to OCS, neither were caught at MEPS (neither knew they had it), both were caught at OCS, one was sent home and had it fixed then had to reapply, the other was retained at OCS had the surgery there and spent 6 months on hold at OCS.

If you know you will have to disclose, if you disclose it is my understanding you will have to get it fixed.

snacks06

pilot
I did 2 deployments with a baseball sized hernia named "Fred".

This is the right forum for this question. Hopefully, one of the Doc's will give you some advice as far as the application process goes. My 2cents, get it fixed. You don't want that to get bigger when you're pulling Gs.

PM me for surgery stuff. I have had 3 abdominal hernia surgeries.

Nice job, Press!

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Skywalker,
Any abdominal wall hernia other than a small umbilical hernia is disqualifying for entry under DOD standards. You'll probably want to get it fixed to avoid any potential problems with the military physical exam process.
R/

81montedriver

pilot
I was a few weeks away from deploying when my hernia was discovered . My flight doc was concerned because a hernia can become very dangerous if your intestines become twisted or trapped and she didn't want to risk that happening to me in Afghanistan.

The surgery was straightforward but the month after sucked. Anything involving your abs (getting out of bed, having sex, taking a shit, lifting things ) was very painful. I was back in flight status within 3 weeks but I was limited to running only for PT for a while and couldn't really do any core workouts for 6 months.

It's been 2 and a half years since and no issues so it was worth the peace of mind knowing that nothing bad would happen as a result of the hernia in the future.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I was a few weeks away from deploying when my hernia was discovered . My flight doc was concerned because a hernia can become very dangerous if your intestines become twisted or trapped and she didn't want to risk that happening to me in Afghanistan.

The surgery was straightforward but the month after sucked. Anything involving your abs (getting out of bed, having sex, taking a shit, lifting things ) was very painful. I was back in flight status within 3 weeks but I was limited to running only for PT for a while and couldn't really do any core workouts for 6 months.

It's been 2 and a half years since and no issues so it was worth the peace of mind knowing that nothing bad would happen as a result of the hernia in the future.

Was that inability to do core exercises for 6 months due to pain, or did you think you were going to cause the repair to fail? I've seen in some corners of the internet that period only lasts for a few weeks, not 6 months. :eek:

81montedriver

pilot
Initially it was due to pain. The pain went away after about a month unless I worked out too hard or lifted too much weight. The other limitation is that you are limited to lifting no more than 35 pounds for a couple of months. The whole point is so that the surgical repair can heal and so that your abdominal wall can rebuild some strength. I was able to ease into exercising but I wasn't able to work out like I did prior to the surgery for about 6 months.

z06z33

I had 2 people that had hernia's that I sent to OCS, neither were caught at MEPS (neither knew they had it), both were caught at OCS, one was sent home and had it fixed then had to reapply, the other was retained at OCS had the surgery there and spent 6 months on hold at OCS.

If you know you will have to disclose, if you disclose it is my understanding you will have to get it fixed.
Question I've already sworn in and have an OCS class date but after that I was changing a tire this past weekend and I fear I might have caused a hernia or it could just be a pulled muscle as I feel no bulges but I'm going to the DR. tomorrow. My recruiter said if something happened where I got hurt they would just move my class date back. I know after surgery you have to wait 6 months so would they move my class date back or make me reapply?
Thanks
David

exNavyOffRec

Question I've already sworn in and have an OCS class date but after that I was changing a tire this past weekend and I fear I might have caused a hernia or it could just be a pulled muscle as I feel no bulges but I'm going to the DR. tomorrow. My recruiter said if something happened where I got hurt they would just move my class date back. I know after surgery you have to wait 6 months so would they move my class date back or make me reapply?
Thanks
David

I have seen people get held for medical reasons, saw one that was on hold for almost a year before she was cleared to go to OCS

z06z33

Update here, just had the surgery today. Will MEPS care that mesh was used?
Wondering the same thing, gonna have to get surgery on my ingerinal in January. How long did the doc say it would be before your good to go to OCS? I'm currently on med hold which has delayed my entry to OCS till the DR clears me for active duty.
Best luck to you for a speedy recovery!

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Haven't got to that stage with the NOR yet, I did this very early in the game so that the conversation with MEPS about it would be in the past tense. Thanks!

exNavyOffRec

Wondering the same thing, gonna have to get surgery on my ingerinal in January. How long did the doc say it would be before your good to go to OCS? I'm currently on med hold which has delayed my entry to OCS till the DR clears me for active duty.
Best luck to you for a speedy recovery!

I had a few guys that had to have hernia repairs, the wait was always 6 months before they could ask N3M for the PQ letter.

A7Dave

pilot
Glad you got it fixed. I got one after I finished flight school. I was carrying crap out of my BOQ room to my car, a month after getting my wings and felt a hot "snap" in my groin. Got it repaired at a Navy hospital a month or two later while in a pre squadron school. Had it done on a Friday and was back in school the following Monday. Never had a problem in over 30 years since then. It didn't keep me from going to McGuires the next week and running into the surgeon who cut on me. Bought him and the Mrs a round of cocktails.