• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Henry Repeating Arms

leo20307

Rhinos
None
Anyone have any experiences with a Henry Repeating Rifle? I'm trying to decide between a Big Boy .45, the .44 Mag or 30-30 Winchester.

I have a friend that likes his .22 Henry but that's a little light for what I'm looking for.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
No experience specifically with Henry, but I would lean towards the .45 LC... 2nd choice would be the .30-30

BTW the Big Boy .45 is looks like this:
45-70_Government.JPG

... And its last name is Government.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
No experience specifically with Henry, but I would lean towards the .45 LC... 2nd choice would be the .30-30

As always it depends on what you are going to do with the rifle of course but why not one in 44 Mag? I used to have a Winchester lever gun in 44 Mag. It seems like I remember that you can shoot a 45 LC in a 44 Mag weapon but not the other way around......is this correct?

(Edited to say that it looks like that is not correct. Google tells me that you can shoot 44 Special in a 44 Mag. That must be what I was thinking about......)

I don't know much at all about either round but I'm curious.......

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
I have a Henry 30-30 and a 44 Mag. I don't use either one very often, but they are both a hell of a lot of fun.

As to which one to get: Depends on what you want to use it for. The 30-30 has more reach but the 44 Mag comes with the thunder when it eventually gets there. I've shot deer with the 30-30 and I'd say with the open sights it's good out to 200 yds, give or take. That's with me on the trigger; your mileage may vary.

I was surprised at how small the 44 mag is (my dad bought both guns for me while I was on deployment). It's a short little gun that would make a terrific home defense weapon. I'm so terrible with a pistol that something like this is right up my alley.

I'm right handed but, shoot left. So, lever actions have always appealed to me since cycling a bolt action can get awkward on a lefty gun when you aren't left handed. There are several downsides to lever actions, though. Safety is the biggest downside, in my opinion. I've cooked off a round in my Browning BLR because my glove slipped on the hammer. The other downside is the fact that if you are sighting them in on a bench, you have to take it off your rest everytime you need to cycle a round.