• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Henoch-Schönlein Purpura (aka Spring Fever) Disqualifying?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AirWarrior Docs,

Looking for some help for a friend's daughter. She is seeking a commission (IP, IW, Intel), and she spoke to a recruiter who asked if she had ever been hospitalized. She told them when she was 4, she was diagnosed HSP (Henoch-Schönlein Purpura) [aka Spring Fever]. She was treated with steroids, and has not had recurring symptoms since (Once and done). The recruiter said the it was a disqualifying condition.

I looked in the waiver guide, but didn't find that specifically.

Is she really DQ?

@RUFiO181 @NavyOffRec any insight?

exNavyOffRec

I would think on something like this that the recruiter would submit docs for a courtesy review, was this an enlisted recruiter or actual OR?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DOD Instruction 6130.03, Section 26 states: "Current or history of vasculitis, including but not limited to polyarteritis nodosa and allied conditions (446.0), arteritis (447.6), Behçet’s (136.1), and Wegener’s granulomatosis (446.4). Henoch-Schonlein Purpura occurring before the age of 19 with 2 years remission and no sequelae DOES meet the standard."

But the recruiter said that she "could potentially get a waiver if she visited a local Officer recruitment office."

If it's allowed as per the DOD instruction, why would she need a waiver?

The recruiter also stated "that the Navy is allowed to add on to the restrictions from the DOD and that they had determined that HSP was disqualifying."

Anyone know of a more restrictive Navy medical instruction?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
AirWarrior Docs,

Looking for some help for a friend's daughter. She is seeking a commission (IP, IW, Intel), and she spoke to a recruiter who asked if she had ever been hospitalized. She told them when she was 4, she was diagnosed HSP (Henoch-Schönlein Purpura) [aka Spring Fever]. She was treated with steroids, and has not had recurring symptoms since (Once and done). The recruiter said the it was a disqualifying condition.

I looked in the waiver guide, but didn't find that specifically.

Is she really DQ?

@RUFiO181 @NavyOffRec any insight?

The MANMED says, "(2) Current or history of coagulation defects (286) to include but not limited to Von Willebrand's Disease (286.4), idiopathic thrombocytopenia (287), HenochSchonlein Purpura (287.0), is disqualifying. " The coagulation effects is complicated at very best to interpret.

Best advice is have this person contact an OR and submit the medical documents to MEPS to see if a waiver can be granted. Have the medical professionals make the determination.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Interestingly, I applied with a childhood case of Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP), which is a somehwhat similar disorder in that it involves purpura (burst blood vessels/bruising) and is unknown (idiopathic) which is similat to spring fever (minus a few other symptoms). It also wasn't covered specifically in the waiver guide. Since your case's condition seems to only affect children and the causes are somewhat unknown, I would speculate it might stand a chance of waiver, as mine was waived. Obviously, it would be best to talk to NAMI/NOMI about it. In my case, the disorder is basically a loss of platelets destroyed by the liver and spleen, so it involved showing a current Complete Blood Count (CBC) and a statement that I was asymptomatic for 16 years. The disorder is not contagious and anyone has an equal chance of getting it, even if they already had it.

Maybe not helpful, but BLOB: I had a similar blood/bleeding disorder and got waived with a simple addition to BUMED. YMMV.