• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help With Sit-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Sup y'all,

For some reason I am having trouble getting my sit-ups to significantly improve. A few months ago (before Navy rejection) I was doing 100 with no problem. Now I am only doing like 60-70. I slowed down with my workouts for a few (I was pissed) but now I am back on the ball and I am applying for Marines. It's only been about 2 weeks since I re-started a serious workout routine but I was seeing a faster improvement before. Is there anything I can do for a faster improvement or do I just have to wait. As you can see I am not the most patient person hehe. Thanks all.

Peace,

-Spin

farkle84

when i work out my abs, i try not to overwork them. for instance dont do abs every day. one day do obliques or lower back, and the next day go back to abs. and dont just do sit ups, do leg lifts, use the ball, and gradually do more and more reps. and everyone other week, time yourself with the test to see if you can get 100. just a little help. it works for me.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Thanks for the replies. Right now my routine is Pull Ups then sit ups then push ups, 2 min rest then again for 3 reps. My pull ups are generally 19-20 1st rep, 11-12 second rep and 8-9 third rep. Sit ups, 60-70 first rep, 25-30 second rep and 20-25 third rep. Push ups are always. I also try to incorporate some leg exercises as well as my thighs get tired the most when doing sit-ups.

Patmack18, what do u mean by "alternating" crunches?

Also, I have not incorporated running into my workout yet. I am a great runner so that is the least of my worries. Not to say it won't be hard but that I know how to condition myself with running (at least I think I do haha). Once I start my running schedule, will that help with my sit-ups as well as it is another workout for my legs. Thanks again for all the help guys!

Peace,

-Spin

I like to do a little of everything that the PFT invloves everyday as I am paranoid that if I don't I will try to do, for example some sit-ups one day and only be able to do like 5 (exagerating but you get the idea).

Are reps the key to improving? Also farkle84, with regard to the ball, will a weight suffice? I was doing sit-ups with a 10lb weight on my chest for a little while but was not sure if it was really helping.

farkle84

the ball that i m talking about is a huge ball that you lay on with the lower back and you hold a five pound ball above your head, then you do small and very very slow crunches, you do it slow to help build muscles and make sure they are working harder. the alternating crunches are very good for stamina and building up more reps. reps are the key to do before reporting to OCS but you also want some strength.

Beaver

Spin,
There are a lot fo good suggestions here, but I'd add my two cents as well in case it'll help. The fact that your using specificity in your training is good but not every day. Mix it up so you shock your muscles into improving by either doing more reps, more weight, or different exercises. Generally, the principle of overload, attempting to do more than you have ever done before. As for how frequently to work out, I would say slowly get used to working out every day but be careful with strength exercises like pull-ups and push-ups, because your muscles need time to rest and recover in order to get stronger. One or two days of rest a week is probably fine. As for your abs, research has shown that you can work your abs ever day and they'll be just fine. For some reason the abs don't need as much recovery time as others. I would vary your routine, though, so you don't do the same thing every day. If you do then your muscles will get into a routine and stop improving. Personally, I would recommend doing the pft sit-ups mostly, though, since they are specific do how you want to improve. Simple crunches won't help as much since your feet aren't secured in place and therefore your hip flexors aren't able to help. During the pft, the hip flexors do a lot of work so you need to strengthen them as well.
If you've been a competitive runner then you know how training principles effect performance and the same principles can be applied to ab work if you just think about it a certain way.
Hope this helps some. If I didn't make much sense just let me know. :)
good luck

AllenAzali

Like any other muscle groups in your body, don't forget to strech your abdominals. The two ways I know of is:
1. Lay flat down with your belly, pelvis and groin facing the ground. Make like your doing a single push up, but keep your pelvis and groin in contact with the ground. You should feel the muscles strech the top portion of your abs.

2. Grip the chin up bar youve been using for your pull ups. If your feet still touch the ground then all you have to do is simply arch your back forward and push your pelvis forward. If your feet are above the ground, keep hanging, then bring your heels back towards your buttocks. You should feel the lower portion of your muscles strech.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Thanks for the advice everyone ..... I am trying a little of everything that has been suggested.. One more question. What are some good weight training excercises that I can do that will specifically help me with the areas of my body that I need to work out in order to improve my pft especially sit-ups. I definitely want to mix up the workout as Beaver suggested .... just looking for some good ways to do so.

Thanks guys,

-Spin

farkle84

everyone has a different workout routine. depends on if you want to work more on your running or strength. for my strength i have a four day rotation six days a week. monday legs, abs, and cardio. tuesday back and shoulders and stairs. wednesday chest and abs. thursday arms (tri's and bi's and forearms) and obliques. friday and saturday start all over. thats my routine to gain more strength and i utilize the pyramind. set of 10, then 8, then 6, then 4, then back up. its pretty exhausting. good luck

Beaver

Spin,
if you want to add some weight to your sit-ups try holding a small weight plate to your chest or a large medicine ball above your head. Also, doing leg lifts off of a pull-up bar or leg lift rack can also help.

Chesty

Run, swim, bike, and lift weights. Being fit overall pays off the most in the long-run. Do that, and the high abb score will come. Cardio is what gets you through OCS. My last PFT I scored a 291. I think swimming really helped me with my abb score. I went up 50 crunches over a six month period, not to mention the cardio benefit. Doing timed crunches after a run and pullup's also helped.

utrico

Applying for OCS
I have been working out and getting a little better at everything but I still am having a lot of trouble with the pull-ups. I know they will increase with time but I think I need to drop some weight to help. When I work out hard I just seem to increase muscle mass and drop fat. I am 6'1" and about 185 which is not bad but I think if I dropped down to around 165-170 my life would be a lot easier. I saw something on TV today about the Atkins diet and cutting carbs like bread. What do you guys think about it? If this or pull-ups in general have been posted somewhere else please direct me and I will read it there.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Hey,

First, thanks everyone for the sit-up help. I have employed a mix of the workouts that have been suggested and I have actually been seeing an improvement recently and I can now do 80-90 straight and then, after a few seconds rest, a little over a hundred :) Now to get my run down ..... I am at 22-22:30 min. and droping everyday :)

Utrico, I am by no means an expert in the area of weight loss and I definitely don't need to lose weight but I've found, at least with my body, that when I run run run, my weight will go down. Unfortunetly for me, that means I need to eat eat eat cause I will be as thin as a piece of paper if I don't (haha). Just a suggestion that may or may not work for you.

Also as far as the carbs ... I would "assume" that if you cut down on carbs that it WOULD help you to lose weight because, if I am correct, your body would then be using the fat for energy instead of the carbs .... someone chime in here cause again I am no expert.

Peace,

-Spin

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Any pull-up workouts that you guys use besides the Armstrong? I do pull up 4-5 times a week. Should I do more? I use the pyramid workout. I'll usually go up to about 8 or 9 doing them the overhand way, and go back down with my palms facing in. Anything that I should change? Thanks.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

klostman

the happy dance!
EA-6B1, I would focus on doing the pullups palms facing away. Thats the way they do them at OCS. Have your hands 4-5 inches past shoulder width. (Works good for me at least) You should really feel your lats and upper back muscles doing a lot of the work. If I remember correctly, the armstrong program requires you to go 4-5 times a week. I've personally never used it, but my OSO told me that 3 times a week is more than enough. Whatever the case, I incorporate the pyramid scheme and that works very well. Try some weighted pullups or some negatives. That'll really shock the hell out of your biceps and back muscle.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Negatives? Explain. Thanks

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

Status
Not open for further replies.