• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help with a problem

J-Har

I have applied through BDCP for Intel, SWO, and NFO (I wanted to be in Naval Aviation ideally). While I did not get selected for Intel, I was pro-rec for NFO and SWO. Unfortunately, I had gotten custom orthodics while I played rugby and football in highschool essentially for my cleats. Well, MEPS saw this as a disqualification and a few weeks ago I was denied a medical waiver.

I run at least 3 miles a day, without the use of orthodics, and yet I have been deemed unfit for any and all URL service. I find this completely rediculous. I even got my doctor to issue a letter saying that I do not need them and while I do have flat feet that I will be fine.

I realize that sometimes the rules dont make sense and I am in the process of applying now for Supply and then IW (both restriced/staff). I will be happy to serve as a naval officer in any capacity and just want to get in. While I will be attempting a lat transfer, I would not be unhappy doing my part in supply or IW.

Basically, I am wondering if there is any way to appeal this or if I should just stick with my app for Supply and IW and see what happens down the road. I know everyone says go in for what you want but now it seems like what I want is no longer available for some rediculous reason and what I want above any specific job is to serve as an officer in the navy.

Is the BUMED waiver denial final? Can I transfer down the road? Or do you think I should video tape me running 5 miles and then send it to them as proof of how physically unfit I am? (joking)

bottlenose

Wow thats terrible to hear. I dont see what the big deal is with orthodics. I thought there were many people in the military with flat feet. I myself have flat feet, however I didnt wear orthodics, and the MEPS doctor gave me crap about my feet being flat but I didnt get disqualified. Good luck with that.

MasterBates

I don't know the official take, but I have orthodics in my flight boots, running shoes and uniform shoes.

And it has NEVER come up as an issue. Not once. And my feet are as flat as Kate Moss.

Spool

E-2D...Wa..wave..wave of the Future.
None
I'd talk to your recruiter, I guess (if you have one with BDCP...not too familiar with that program). I have flat feet, it was in my record, and MEPS found it too, but all that was required was for me to write a letter for my app stating that I had flat feet, I didn't need orthodics, and that it didn't effect my day to day living whatsoever. I submitted my letter, and got my waiver...no issues after that. This has to be a very common issue for folks...hopefully your recruiter can help you out. This is baloney if it keeps you out of an aviation slot. You'll spend WAY more time standing around as a SWO (port and starboard, anyone?) than you will as a NFO...much harder on your flat feet :)