• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help please

vineedchin

hey everyone, I just completed PLC Jrs 1st increment, anyway about 3 weeks ago I hurt my knee in a basketball game, went to the ER they did nothing went to an orthapedic he did nothing, finally got mri results back and they said I need a new acl, and will have to put 2 screws in my knee, now I dont care if I dont rehab in time for Srs I'll just go OCC and do 16 weeks of ocs no big deal Im just worried that the screws in my knee will disqualify me from going to OCS, I have an air contract right now but I dont care if I go ground I just wanna be a Marine, I dont know what I'll do if I cant get back into OCS, right now Im afraid to call my oso and hear what he says, just wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this I heard any metal in ur body is no good is this true?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
vineedchin said:
hey everyone, I just completed PLC Jrs 1st increment, anyway about 3 weeks ago I hurt my knee in a basketball game, went to the ER they did nothing went to an orthapedic he did nothing, finally got mri results back and they said I need a new acl, and will have to put 2 screws in my knee, now I dont care if I dont rehab in time for Srs I'll just go OCC and do 16 weeks of ocs no big deal Im just worried that the screws in my knee will disqualify me from going to OCS, I have an air contract right now but I dont care if I go ground I just wanna be a Marine, I dont know what I'll do if I cant get back into OCS, right now Im afraid to call my oso and hear what he says, just wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this I heard any metal in ur body is no good is this true?
I know lots of guys with various metal parts in them and they are still flying. Botom line, contact the appropriate Navy medical authorities to discuss the specifics of your situation so they can give you the straight skinny.

Brett

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
calm down ace.

acl is a dq'ing injury, but you can get waivers.

the screws won't dq you, but the injury can.

pm me with your questions-- i've had one, and am about to have another.

motiv8r

Don't worry dude. I blew out my ACL, MCL, and most of the cartilage in my knee 9 months before I had to go back to seniors. Get the surgery ASAP and do your rehab religiously. You will get waivered if your doctor stands up and writes BUMED a letter saying that your knee is back to 100%. I still have a screw in my knee and it's no big deal and I got waivered. (if all you're getting is an ACL reconstruction and they want to put 2 screws in, see another doctor, the 2 screw method went obsolete about 10 years ago). Metal in your body is fine, I'm cleared for all duty.

Bottom line, get the surgery done ASAP, follow the rehab instructions to a T, and you'll have a very favorable chance of going back to seniors next summer.