• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HELP!! OAR Section

prana

hi

i anyone familiar with the scoring of the OAR portion of astb? do you get deducted points for wrong answers like the SAT? if i run out for time should i guess or not answer at all.

by the way i i've taken the asvab and the astb. from my experience the asvab had more challenging questions. the astb questions was alot easier, it was harder for me because of the time constraint , which personally i think is unfair because it doesn't leave room to check your answers.

BTP1368

Pro-Rec SWO!!!
i anyone familiar with the scoring of the OAR portion of astb? do you get deducted points for wrong answers like the SAT? if i run out for time should i guess or not answer at all.

You do not get deducted points. It is scored like the ACT, and that means answer ALL questions.

Saulace

Click on the ASTB section of this site, it has all you need for mechanical comprehension.

www.navy-officer.com

And don't feel like a dumbass (unless you are one :confused:). I went from a 39 to a 48 on my OAR the second time that I took it.

This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm taking the OAR for the first time tomorrow and needed to brush up on the mechanical physics a bit. Thanks!

Autoace

[qoute]Thanks all, I'll check out Barrons
spec609 the Barrons book really did a great job in preparing me for the ASTBs. Just do the practice tests over and over until you get good scores.

For non-aviation Naval applicants, the only score that matters is the OAR, derived from the first three section of the exam.

dreambrat18

The statement about the deductive reasoning is completely correct. While there are some mathematics required they are mostly testing you for your ability to think better, not the ability to plug numbers into formulas. Think of it this way I graduated with a biology major but still scored a 50. Its not that 65 I saw further up this forum its decently competitive, at least thats what my OR said...

das

Contributor
For non-aviation Naval applicants, the only score that matters is the OAR, derived from the first three section of the exam.

That's not completely accurate...Intel (1630 and 1635) is an example of another community that requires the whole ASTB, and looks at scores other than just the OAR. Generally speaking, though, you're right: most non-aviation communities just use the OAR score, and only require that you take the sections of the test that comprise the OAR.

The OAR sections are primarily an aptitude test, and while studying can certainly help you brush up on things, it really comes down to a person's innate skills in these areas. The nautical and aviation information, on the other hand, is definitely something that can be studied. I studied for a couple weeks and ended up with 8/8/7/68. YMMV.

jpa140

so i jsut received my scores: 2/3/3 38. i know that these scores are low and i was plan on re-taking the test again. i had test form 5 and was wondering are all the forms the same except they just mix the questions around?? or is one form easier than the rest?? also, i was deabting if i should just do the OAR section since i was planning to go into SWO or supply

any suggestins how i can improve my scores for the second time? i have the sutdy guides from this site as well as peterson's Master the officer candidate tests book.

thanks for your help

BullGator

so i just received my scores: 2/3/3 38. i know that these scores are low and i was plan on re-taking the test again. i had test form 5 and was wondering are all the forms the same except they just mix the questions around?? or is one form easier than the rest?? also, i was debating if i should just do the OAR section since i was planning to go into SWO or supply

any suggestions how i can improve my scores for the second time? i have the study guides from this site as well as peterson's Master the officer candidate tests book.

thanks for your help
I had test form 5 too. They are different questions, not just mixed around.

As far as which form is easiest, that has been roughly debated.. I only took it once so I can't speak from experience, but have heard others say form 5 was harder than the form they took the other time. From my understanding, which again is just what I've read, form 5 is more difficult in the mechanical section, but easier in the math section. That is all I remember to be honest, but there are definitely different questions between the different test forms.

The general recommendation, is to take the whole test since you only get a total of 3 opportunities, and the last 3 sections won't hurt your OAR score. -You may change your mind on which designator(s) you apply for too. :icon_wink Therefore, I would recommend you take the full exam.

____

If you are just studying for the OAR though, you can really focus your studies. Get your hands on every practice problem you can for math and mechanical. That means also do the AFOQT and AFAST problems for practice. You may as well do them timed too, and just go back and study the ones you missed or guessed on. I also recommend you download the Arco's MFAT book and buy the Barron's MFAT book for 3 extra ASTB practice exams and other practice problems. The Barron's book also goes through each section teaching some basic math concepts that would benefit you.

This site is really awesome for study tips and material. Search what you are looking for and you should be better off. And, if you have any specific questions on problems, fire away.

E

ebolamonkey

Just study the free gouge found on the forums and make sure you get the sample ASTB OAR exams down COLD. That is all I used and I got a 63.