• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help me enlist in the Naval RESERVES

MIDN_RHS

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am a MIDN 4/c college programmer (due to the nature of my problem I'd like to keep my location confidential). Recently, some issues have come up and now I am facing possible dis-enrollment because of issues relating to Don't Ask, Don't Tell. I have three questions.

1. If, god forbid, I do have to disenroll, will I still be eligble for enlistment in the Navy Reserves?
2. Because of disenrolment due to DADT will I be able to apply after enlisting to NROTC again?
3. Just in general, even for people not disenrolled or in NROTC, can a depper apply for a NROTC scholarship, enlist and go to bootcamp, then accept a scholarship afterwards? I assume the sailor would go to boot during college summer.

Thank you for any and all of your help.

V/r,
MIDN_RHS

johnny utah

still bigger than hip-hop
pilot
Have you asked a recruiter? Seems like they'd be the proverbial horse's mouth to hear answers from.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I would say try to convince them not to disenroll you and then worry about other possible avenues to get back in if you really want. If you want to be an officer I do not suggest enlisting.

When a CO disenrolls someone from NROTC he writes comments and part of those comments suggest whether or not the individual should be considered for acceptance into other officer candidate programs like OCS or NROTC at a later date. So perhaps if they see your strong desire to be a Naval Officer you will get the benefit of the doubt.

I do not know the severity of your infraction, but if someone is facing a PRB the best thing to do is just admit that you fvcked up and explain why and how it won't happen again. Best of luck to you.

navy09

None
I think the rule of thumb is not to use enlistment as an officer accession program. There's a very good chance that if you get kicked out of ROTC, that door's going to be closed for good. I'd talk to an OCS recruiter and ask him how ROTC disenrollment resulting from DADT would affect an OCS package.

Bevo16

pilot
If you are paying your own way in college anyway, there is no real need to drop out and re-enlist. I came up from the enlisted ranks, and it is not an easy process. It is harder to do now than when I did it with less options available.

If you are a homsexual and have a problem not asking and not telling, I suggest that you read the UCMJ in detail along with the entire policy regarding sexual behavior. If it's not something that you can live with as a midshipman, you are going to have a real hard time with it as a full time officer. I am not judging, because I don't care about your sexuality one bit. I do care about good order and discipline though, and I agree with the policy and regulations that go along with it.

In addition to looking at options to get a commission, you might want to do a little soul searching about weather or not this is the career for you. If you are gay and in the military, you will be required to hide and cover up a large portion of your life and who you are as a person. There are a lot of areas of service where that is not a requirement.

MIDN_RHS

I have no problem keeping with DADT. What's done is done. Now, I can only continue being the best MIDN I can be and continue to explain to my CoC how my actions were not in violation of any policy.
But anyway, when I said enlist I meant into the reserves, and to continue my college education. I know that enlisting is by NO means a safe way of becoming an officer, but would it be unreasonable to apply for a NROTC scholarship before recruit training and strive to become a member of the battalion after a-school(yes I know, I would still have no experience, yet I have always wanted to get a taste of the enlisted life)?

Thank you all for your help.

V/r,
MIDN_RHS

Bevo16

pilot
Only enlist if you want to be an enlisted sailor. Doing it for some other goal is counter-productive. If you want to be an officer: stay in your ROTC unit, don't screw up, make good grades, and prove yourself worthy of a scholarship. The odds of getting a scholarship are much better for a college program Mid with the stamp of approval of his CO, than as an enlisted reservist.

If you want the taste of enlisted life, you will enjoy your 2nd class cruise.

sickboy

pilot
I would wait for them to actually kick you out before looking into other programs.

MIDN_RHS

Hey everyone I realized that I accidently posted this into the wrong thread before. Wow I feel like a moron. anyway:

I'd like to preface this by saying that by no means am I seeking the easy road to becoming a sailor. On the contrary, I am very interested in being enlisted, yet am not sure if I can be in the reserves and not miss any school. So here it goes.

I am a midshipman and am interesting in dropping out and enlisting in the reserves. however, there does not seem to be enough time in the summer to go through with bootcamp and a school. Therefore, would my time as a MIDN at all qualify me for the 17-day boot camp for priors? If not would there be any other way to space out boot camp and a school over two summers?

Thank you

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
No.

BTW, if they're booting you out of ROTC because of DADT, why do you think they'd let you enlist? They may be a different set of bungholes but it's still the same Navy with the same policies.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's what I was wondering. The Reserve is still the navy, still DoD. Same policies apply to Active officers and Reserve Sailors. If you were kicked out (or invited to leave, whatever) for DADT, why do you think the USNR will be an okay alternative?

MIDN_RHS

Thanks everyone for the help,

First of all, I'd like to apologize for posting my reply a few days ago in this thread, as you all could probably tell, it was meant for the stupid questions thread.

Anyway, yeah, I can see what everyone means by it being the same DoD. Only reason I thought that was because I told the enlisted recruiter about my situation and he said he didn't care. Could be though that he didn't completely understand my situation and/or just wants to get his numbers up.

Thanks for everyone's help, and I haven't been disenrolled yet, my package has been in NSTC in Pcola for about 2 months now and I still havent heard a decision.

-MIDN_RHS

ps-If i am permitted to enlist, would it be unreasonable to think that i could do boot camp and a school during the summer?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depend on the job you want. If you attend Boot Camp and then Airman/Seaman/Fireman Apprenticeship training, you could easily get through that in about 3 months. Otherwise, I highly doubt it. Boot Camp is approximately 2 months and most of the "A" (trade) schools are more than 2 months.

-ea6bflyr ;)

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Ummm.. There are a couple of questions on your enlistment paperwork that state something to the effect of "Have you ever been enrolled or disenrolled in any type of officer assession programs to include NROTC?" So, if you lie on that then it would be considered a fraudulent enlistment. Now, I was only a recruiter for 2+ years, and things might have change in the past year or so, but I think not. I think your done. I mean, I'm sure there are some recruiters that will tell you to not to list it, but your only wasting you time, they will find out about it as soon as you fill out your SF-86 / EPSQ forms to do your background check.