• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!I need tips for becoming a pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jn99_2000

Hello,

I am an up and coming high school senior. It has been my dream to become a pilot (helicopter or fixed wing) in any branch of the military. I would like to know where I have the best chance at becoming a Jet pilot of any kind (c-130, transporter or fighter.) I would like tips as to what route and branch I should go in. I have 20/15 vision, and all around good health. My gpa is about a 3.5, I scored 26 on the ACT, and I took the ASVAB scoring a 87. I plan on taking it again. I would appreciate any and everybody's input and help. I understand basic commissioning and rotc but I would like to know what else in specific could help me in becoming a pilot. I am willing to work hard and do pretty much anything to become a pilot. Is their anyway to get a guranteed spot in flight school? or is that not possible?
football_125.gif

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Great questions every one. I think if you spend some time reading the old forums, most of your questions will be answered. You are doing exactly what you need to be doing to become an aviator by asking questions. Read through the old forums, educate yourself a little more and try to narrow down your questions. All of us will be glad to help its just that the scope of your questions is quite broad. To answer one question, the Marine Corps is the only service that guarantees a shot at flight school. Motivation like yours will definitely get you to your dreams. Keep it up. Semper Fly, Frumby

Attack Pilot
LtCol USMCR

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I agree with the Col. on all points but one. The Navy also guarantees a shot at flight school. Just not through ROTC or the Academy. If you go BDCP or apply for a SNA slot in OCS you would be guaranteed an SNA slot. If you go the ROTC or Academy route, you will compete against others during your senior year. By then your pretty much locked in.

Dave

jn99_2000

Is their any benefit in joining one particular branch over another, say for flying Helicopters. My local recruiter said a 87 would be fine for trying to get into Warrant Officer Flight Training in the Army, but I was wondering what were more exceptable scores (such as what range I should be shooting for).

FlyFast

start taking flight lessons from a local airport and get your degree. Look into cilivian flight schools and ROTC programs,,,,Main point start getting educated and pilots do one thing that is FLY

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Just a side note....

You took the ASVAB. Well, the ASVAB is taken if you were to go Enlisted. In order to fly (in most cases) you need to have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, and become an Officer. To become an officer, you need to pass the ASTB. These are totally different tests. Like the col. said, you'll learn much much more by reading previous posts about these different types of tests and other important things.

D

stevew

The marines require you take the ASVAB if you cannot supply them with an ACT/SAT score, or if you scored to low on either of those tests you must take the ASVAB as well.

-Steve

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I would also think about joining the reserves (no matter what branch you decide on). It would give you an idea on how things work in that service, a view of how the enlisted man/woman lives/thinks, and extra money for college.

jn99_2000

Thanks for your help. After completing ROTC and getting your college degree, is it possible to apply for flight school if you go into the Reserves or Guard?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Yes, it is. There's been a long discussion on the benefits of this route in the past, run a search and it will answer all of your questions.

jn99_2000

Do you have to go through ROTC to become a pilot in the Reserves/Guard or is a bachelor's degree enough to go into the Guard as an officer? If so are your chances at flight school (helicopter or fixed wing) better through Guard or Active Duty in any branch of military

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
When I suggested thinking about the Guard/Reserves, I meant as enlisted. Join it just after high school graduation (go to basic the summer after graduation) and perform your mandatory drills while you are attending college. Apply for the officer program you are interested in while in college and once you graduate from college THEN become an officer. That way, you get enlisted experience and can collect the Reserve GI Bill (approx. $300/month) and your monthly drill pay (also approx. $300/month) while in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.