• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help - Am I medically qualified?

SNAapp2022

Marine Corps Prior Service, SNA Applicant
Good evening all,

A little about me, I'm a 25 y/o college student (Junior 3.5 GPA), prior service Marine rated at 40% for a motorcycle accident I was in days before EAS.

I am prepping for application to SNA boards and ANG boards as I near graduation. I have spoken to several recruiters that believe they can send me to MEPS with my rating and I wanted to get some info from any flight doc's out there about what I can do in my situation.

I am rated at 40% for a break in my right wrist, right knee range of motion, and tinnitus with good hearing levels per VA. The rating was given by a VA doc after I separated, and they provided a rating because they saw these issues weren't corrected when I separated days after the accident. Now that I am out and recovered from these injuries I have been in good health and feel as if I could return to duty.

Is anyone able to provide insight to what MEPS would say about me being physically qualified to board and eventually pass through NAMI?

Thank you for your time.

exNavyOffRec

The answer really depends if you are still inside your 8 year MSO or outside of it. If you are outside of it then you will be looked at under new accession standards by NRC medical and that could pose problems, if you are inside of it then you will be looked at with a bit less scrutiny.

In general 30% or less was what is considered workable, over 30% can be difficult.

SNAapp2022

Thank you for your input! I've read the same thing about the 30% level being the threshold for difficulty. I was wondering what you meant by "8 year MSO"? Is that the initial service obligation from my enlistment?

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for your input! I've read the same thing about the 30% level being the threshold for difficulty. I was wondering what you meant by "8 year MSO"? Is that the initial service obligation from my enlistment?
yes the MSO is your enlistment, generally for enlisted it is 4 years active and 4 years inactive, rough estimate is 4 years after your active service it will end.

SNAapp2022

That makes sense, in theory I should be able to hit meps and potentially board within that window.