• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helos or Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shdostel

I'm almost done with the primary phase of my training at Whiting. I've always been teeter tottering between jets and helos. I decided to wait until after the aerobatics to hopefully lock in a decision. Well, I get done with aerobatics and I didn't like them as much as I thought I would. I wasn't scared. Just the opposite. The didn't thrill me at all. I was wondering if there are any jet pilots out there they went through the same dilemma
banghead_125.gif
. If you did, let me know how you feel about them.

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
I wasn't particularly a fan of PAs in T-34s... I even got airsick once. In T-2s, aerobatics were basically an instrument scan, and in the T-45 you even do all the aerobatic maneuvers in BIs, so it's completely on instruments. That stuff is pretty boring. However, when I flew the gun pattern and the yanking and banking was in a dynamic situation (well, the pattern is canned... but you get the picture) where you are trying to put the plane in a certain place, it's way cool. I wouldn't base your whole decision on love/hate of PAs.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think that PA's is the best example either. Ask an instructor to show you cloud surfing. Good formation flying can be fun too. In T-45's the road reccies (Low Levels) and gun pattern will thrill you to no end. Aerobatics in T-45's are a FAM procedure to get you comfortable flying the jet (yeah you do them in BI's but that's to build your scan). ACM is a great thrill because your next move isn't scripted. But the ultimate thrill is flying around the boat. There is NOTHING that compares to a day bag-ex.

I would recommend talking with some of your helo instructors about what life was like on a small boy. That could be a big factor in your decision. If you know any instructors who were jet pilots, get their perspective. Being good at flying jets won't be the only thing to decide your happiness. You have to share the mentality/attitude of a jet pilot. My best OCS/Primary buddy was rocking the Jet program but DOR'ed because his personality was more suited for another community. Just my $.02 worth.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think I know what you're talking about, but what was it about jets that rubbed him wrong?

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I didn't like PAs either in Primary (got airsick more than once) so I chose E-2/C-2. That and the mentality thing, too. But I'm still in sims in the 45, so I can't tell ya how the PAs are here.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Hoover, what would you say is the "correct" (I hate to use that word but it's all I can think of at the moment) mind set for a jet pilot? And what would you say regarding mind sets of other communities?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, more on the mindset please. I've got a long way to go before I have to make any decisions (still in college) but I'd like to get a feel for how the different communities are. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.