• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo medical attrite with a few questions.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
Well, like the thread title says, I'm looking at being NPQ'd out of Helo advanced and given the opportunity to redesignate, and I have a few questions. I've been reading about the requirements for CEC officers coming out of college, but I can't find if they apply to redesignation. I've read they recruit people up to one year after earning their degree and require an interview w/ a CEC officer. The instruction for redesignation (OPNAV1210 I think it is) says nothing about these requirements.

It has been over two years since I received my degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering. I was wondering if anyone knew if I'm even still eligible/competitive because of this and if an interview with a CEC officer is required/recommended for a redesignation.

Any replies would be helpful. And yes, I did a search.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I have a buddy that's was an Aero major... that redesignated to CEC over a year after graduating. I'll see if I can put you in touch with him.

MrSaturn

Contributor
Well, like the thread title says, I'm looking at being NPQ'd out of Helo advanced and given the opportunity to redesignate, and I have a few questions. I've been reading about the requirements for CEC officers coming out of college, but I can't find if they apply to redesignation. I've read they recruit people up to one year after earning their degree and require an interview w/ a CEC officer. The instruction for redesignation (OPNAV1210 I think it is) says nothing about these requirements.

I had a friend who attrited with an engineering major. They snatched him up without an interview or anything. From what I understand as of 5 months ago they really needed people. This was after we were out of school for over a year. However, the job market is constantly changing...

Redesignation is different for attrites, dors and npqs in aviation. Now you SHOULD get a packet of information from the command explaining everything about redesignation. In that packet there SHOULD be a list of detailers for different communities. On that list there SHOULD be a CEC number (I got a packet back in Corpus... I dont know how they do it in Pensacola/Milton). I would go ahead and call that person as soon as possible to find out what they want to see... get in their good graces... get your foot in the door... take that initiative. Alot of people ignored my advice about this and got burned. This is how redesignation works...

Imagine your packet as a white shiny marble of many...

hippo.jpg

Imagine yellow is CEC. CEC can only eat so many marbles. Pink (SWO) wants to eat everyone.... EVERYONE and usually is allowed to. Make sure Yellow is seeking out to eat you. Frankly, you wont have a clue who eats you until they call you up.

Good Luck. Ask me if you have any more questions.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Just to throw my 2 cents in there...I lat xfered into CEC from AMDO. All you need is an engineering degree to be eligible. However, another thing they like to see is that you have your EIT. They might let it slide for a flight attrite as you're still junior, but getting a PE is a part of the CEC officer's career path, and the community wants to see that you've already taken the first step to registration.

Also, it's true that the CEC is hurting for JOs. I've looked at the last 2 or 3 lat xfer board results and they haven't come close to reaching their quotas. The CECOS class that finished this past summer had something like 18 flight attrites. We had zero in my class in 2005.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
UPDATE:

Found out I'm in for the MAY08 CECOS class. Many thanks to all who gave advice.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Congrats. The CEC is, hands down, the best community to set yourself up for life on the outside. Imagine, a community where the normal (hell, the REQUIRED) career track includes a tour to earn your graduate, professional degree at a civilian university and professional certification on the Navy's tab. Heed my words now though - never, ever take PWO orders in DC...

That's essentially like the Navy making us all get a multi-engine jet ATP, and 10,000 hrs in a 747 as a disassociated tour.

By the way, the lore is that once upon a time, the CEC detailer just decided to start hooking guys up with orders to get grad degrees and it just stuck.

It seems we've wasted an awful lot of whiskey on Pers-43.

MasterBates

I wouldn't call it a waste...

It is nice having a detailer that returns phone calls without the XO having to call him though!

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
If you are attrited from aviation medically, can you cross commission into another service rather than become a SWO? Not planning on going anywhere but was just curious.

My guess it goes down on the needs of the Navy list whether or not they let you go...

smustang51

This may seem uninformed or naive, but how do you NPQ out of advanced?? I thought they would catch all that stuff at OCS and API...is it just some sort of thing like an accident or something they didn't initially find, etc.?

SaraLee

Not every medical condition is something permanent or pre-existing. People develop medical conditions all the time.

I know personally of 3-4 people who NPQ out of flight school during advanced for a number of different reasons.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
This may seem uninformed or naive, but how do you NPQ out of advanced?? I thought they would catch all that stuff at OCS and API...is it just some sort of thing like an accident or something they didn't initially find, etc.?

There are people that NPQ after the FRD. I had one in my last squadron. Sarah brought up other points. Sometimes it is just a matter of the medication needed for a new condition. When that med is not waiverable then you get NPQ. Some conditions are waiverable with conditions. I'm on a waiver for migraines. I can't have more than 3 a year and I can't be on daily meds. If I exceed the 3 or need to be on meds then I would get NPQ'd.