• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Helmet Cripples"

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I actually perfer the JHMCS now over my old helmet. At first (first 25 hours or so) its strange. Now its the only way to go. Its a great tool for CAS, A/A and A/G missions. Great tool that everyone should have.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
This helmet is yet another reason to Fly COD...

That thing is UGLY!

Because the tactical prowess of the COD's weapons systems are better realized without the helmet???

Please... agreed with EODDave's old balls... the JHMCS has so much to add, it's not even funny. Having a no-sh!t NVG compatible helmet would be insane.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I actually perfer the JHMCS now over my old helmet. At first (first 25 hours or so) its strange. Now its the only way to go. Its a great tool for CAS, A/A and A/G missions. Great tool that everyone should have.

The Soviet Union and Israelis were ahead of us in introduced HMD. Almost din't happen for USN or USAF due to peace dividend. Israelis said tip-over point to really become one with a HMD is about 25 hours....some might get it sooner, some later. Your perspective bears testiment to that observation and likely warms the heart of so many who fought to keep JHMCS alive for the C/D and dual cockpit integration for the E/F.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because the tactical prowess of the COD's weapons systems are better realized without the helmet???

Please... agreed with EODDave's old balls... the JHMCS has so much to add, it's not even funny. Having a no-sh!t NVG compatible helmet would be insane.

It doesnt work at night???????? wow what a great piec of gear.
I think there are similar problems with the Zulu helmet.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It doesnt work at night???????? wow what a great piec of gear.
I think there are similar problems with the Zulu helmet.

JHMCS was developed to a specific need to cue (and verify seeker head positioning) the AIM-9X High Off Boresight Short Range Missile. Although night capability was considered, technology at the time could not integrate that capability and achieve desired weight/form factor, but the design was developed so that NVDs could be mounted in place of the HDU. There are several promising upgrade paths to add that capability and it ranks high on the F/A-18 priority list.

As to the Zulu (AH-1Z) helmet, depends on which helmet you are referring to. The first one chosen indeed proved to be unworkable and the second one is now also experiencing some issues as well. Probably could be a thread of its own.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
The JHMCS does work at night and has a clear visor, but you give up the NVG's. There is supposed to be an NVG adaptation to the JHMCS but I'll probably retire before it comes out.

JHMCS is a great piece of gear. It takes between 2-4 hours for the PR's to fit it to your noggin. They have to cut the visor to fit your face / mask and adjust the padding in the ear cups and the top of your head. There are different thickness Zeta liners that help a lot. Then some fine tuning after the first couple of flights.

The time is well worth it.