• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helicopter Pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRM21o

Of those selected for the helo pipeline, what do the "drops" usually look like? How many Cobras are usually given out? Thanks.

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
BRM,
What do you mean by drops?
As far as Cobras go it all really depends on when you wing. For my class the first and second guys got cobras ( one east and one west) It was the first choice for both of them. A few months ago there were classes where guys got cobras and it was they're 7th choice, needless to say they weren't too happy.
Q

Marine Helo Pilot

BRM21o

Like in the AF where there are a certain amount of 16's, 15's, A-10's etc to the grads or otherwise called the "drop". Basically, how many Cobras are given out to each graduating class? You answered my question anyways though, thanks. Any particular reason those guy's didn't want the Cobra?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I know a lot of guys go in to helos wanting Cobras, but there are a lot of reasons why you might not want them. I'm not detracting from snakes by any means, but some might not like the Cobra mission as much as assault support. some might be more interested in UHs, where you get to do a little of everything. Some will say that the HML/A community is a little more "Ooh-rah" than their tastes. "Cobra squadrons eat their young" is a cliche, but not altogether untrue. New pilots often have hard times there. Also, assault support pilots typically get to do their first deployments earlier than skids.

Phrogs phorever

thartley

It all depends on how your grades are compared to everyone else and who wants what. Two guys from my class both got cobra's west which was there first choice. One guy was number 1 in the class the other was number 4.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I take it skids don't come up as often as 53/46's do?

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

thartley

The results are in from this weeks helo selection. Two cobra slots, one 53 slot and the rest were 46's (I think there were five of them).

Status
Not open for further replies.