• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Heart Rate Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Okay, so I just got my Polar S210 and it is great. However, everything I read on the web says to exercise at 70-80% of your max HR. My max is 197, which means 80% is roughly 158 BPM. That was a snails pace! I kicked it up to around 165-170BPM and that seemed better for a half hour, but that puts you in at 80-90%. Is that bad?

Anybody have an HR monitor and have any good training advice for building my PFT in time for the August board?

It's not bad to go higher. I'm usually in the 90+% range when running (usually go for about 30 minutes at same intensity). Apparently "they" say that anything over 80% doesn't add much benefit to the workout. I tend to disagree from experience.

You should always workout at an intensity that challenges you. No pain, no gain... unless the pain is because you're doing something wrong. Running at 90+% heart rate will not cause you any problems (unless you have some heart problems, in which case you wouldn't be before any boards).

NavyOCS

Chris Hill said:
It's not bad to go higher. I'm usually in the 90+% range when running (usually go for about 30 minutes at same intensity). Apparently "they" say that anything over 80% doesn't add much benefit to the workout. I tend to disagree from experience.

You should always workout at an intensity that challenges you. No pain, no gain... unless the pain is because you're doing something wrong. Running at 90+% heart rate will not cause you any problems (unless you have some heart problems, in which case you wouldn't be before any boards).

I train with a HR moniter. And I tried training at the recommended 70-75% mhr. And no, I could not do it either. I train at about 80%.

Now, the reason that they recommend 70%... if you are putting in numerous miles per week at more than 70% you run a high risk of injury. Of course it depends on the individual at what point you increase that risk. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe the recommendation is to have no more than 15% of your training at high intensities. And to have the rest of training easy runs and recovery runs.

I would just go out and run. If you want good running plans with the HR and everything check out http://www.coolrunning.com

E6286

OCC 191 Select
So basically I am screwed haha? If I go above 80% then I risk getting hurt and setting myself back and if I stay at under 80% I will be running a 28 minute 3 miler if not more lol.

mattm1435

This confused me at first too until I did some research. Heart rate training is based on your working heart rate, not your max heart rate. For example, let's assume your max is 196 and your resting is 70. Your working rate is 196-70=126. Then, you multiply this by the desired level of 80%, 126*.80=100.8. Finally add this to your resting rate to find your training level, 100.8+70=170.8 bpm. Hope this helps.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
The American Heart Association has a slightly different method of calculation which is 220-age = MHR.
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4736

I suspect use of either method would provide some accurate guidance.

Regarding training at certain levels....if you train at your desired level/zone you will be more effecient. If you train over your level/zone, the benefits gained are very minimal. You won't hurt yourself (assuming you are medically cleared to do what ya' do) but, you won't see any significant gains.

Keep in mind, as you get in better shape, it will take a bit more work to reach and/or maintain your goals....that is the beauty of using a THR as one of your guides.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Yeah, I feel I am better off now that I found out you are supposed to train at 70-80% of your WORKING HR and not your MHR. That is much more tolerable. The other way was just simply too slow to ever make any speed gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.