• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hearing for Marine charged in Iraqi deaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/04/26/marine.iraq.death.ap/index.html

RALEIGH, North Carolina (AP) -- A former Wall Street trader who rejoined the Marines after the September 11 attacks is now faced with the consequences of another choice -- the split-second decision he made in a combat zone.

Defense attorneys for 2nd Lt. Ilario Pantano and military prosecutors agree that the Marine shot and killed two Iraqis last year in a search for a terrorist hideout. But neither side agrees on circumstances surrounding the shootings.

Defense attorneys say Pantano was doing his job. Prosecutors say it was murder, and were expected to present their evidence at a preliminary hearing set to begin Tuesday at Camp Lejeune.

The case has stirred debate on whether troops should be second-guessed for decisions made in fleeting seconds of combat. A North Carolina congressman has urged President Bush to intervene and dismiss charges against the 33-year-old New Yorker.

Pantano also has become a popular subject for conservative radio hosts, and his mother has started a Web site in his defense.

U.S. Rep. Walter Jones, a Republican, has said Pantano was doing nothing more than "defending the cause of freedom, democracy and liberty in his actions."

The Article 32 hearing, similar to a civilian grand jury hearing, is held to determine whether to recommend a court-martial or other punishment. An investigating officer will then make a recommendation to the commanding general of the 2nd Marine Division, who determines whether to proceed to trial or modify the charges.

If convicted of murder at a court-martial, Pantano could be sentenced to death. He has asked to waive the investigatory hearing and proceed straight to a court-martial.

A call to military defense attorney Maj. Phillip Stackhouse was not returned Monday afternoon. Base spokesman 2nd Lt. Barry Edwards declined comment Monday.

The case stems from an April 15, 2004, incident in which Pantano's unit was ordered to search a house in Mahmudiyah, Iraq. Marines stopped Hamaady Kareem and Tahah Ahmead Hanjil as they tried to drive away.

According to charges, Pantano ordered other troops to remove the suspects' handcuffs and look away, then shot the pair in the back, vandalized their vehicle and hung a sign over their corpses bearing a Marine slogan: "No better friend, no worse enemy."

In a statement, Pantano told investigators the two men had their backs to him and continued talking to each other despite warnings to be quiet.

"After another time of telling them to be quiet, they quickly pivoted their bodies toward each other. They did this simultaneously, while speaking in muffled Arabic. I thought they were attacking me and I decided to fire my M-16A4 service rifle in self-defense," the statement said.

Pantano was investigated and cleared at the field level last year and continued combat operations. But civilian defense lawyer Charles Gittins said that a disgruntled enlisted man complained after Pantano's unit returned to Camp Lejeune. A new probe led to the charge.

Pantano was raised in a rough New York City neighborhood but got a scholarship to an expensive prep school. After a stint in the Marines, he became a Wall Street energy trader and then an executive in a film company, earning a six-figure salary.

gagirl

My feeling is that it's a war zone and there's no time to be touchy feely. Is he supposed to ask the insugent if he plans on harming him and then decide whether to shoot? The way these insurgents are known to do things like play dead, booby trap bodies etc. it doesn't give our guys much time to decide what to do. If the insurgents don't listen to orders then they risk the consequences. Too bad for them, but it is a war zone. I hope he's cleared of charges. Especially since he was cleared on the field level and then some whiney enlisted had to bring it up again. Not too much of Marine in that guy. If you can't handle what happens on the battlefield then get off. I bet the Marine that has caused this second investigation has to watch his back. I'd hate to be him.
I'm sure someone will criticize me for my views, but oh well.
I think it's crazy that we send our guys over there to fight and then prosecute them for it. I'm sure someone will say that it's the way he did it, but only he knows. Can you imagine the things that happened in past wars that we don't know about?
GAgirl

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
None of us were there; none of us know what happened. Let's let the legal system sort it out.

I'll second that things like this dont get to this point unless there are some serious questions

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Already there's been testimony for the prosecution besides the famous disgruntled Sgt. I think that pundits from both sides have been too quick to give opinions as to what the outcome should be. Let the evidence speak and the court decide.

I definitely believe he should get the benefit of the doubt, and that's what the "beyond a reasonable doubt" concept is for. However, no matter the situation, you still are accountable for your actions. Sometimes bad decisions are made as a result of incomplete information, and in such cases you have to put yourself in the shoes of the accused, not using the benefit of hindsight. However, to say that being in combat is a blanket pass for anything is opening the floodgates for huge problems. I AM NOT EQUATING THIS WITH PANTANO (disclaimer), but Lt Calley was in combat in Vietnam when he made himself famous--should he have gotten a pass?

Combat is a tough place to work, and it's hard to find fault in a place where split-second decisions are common. However, we hold lots of people to account for quick decisions, such as doctors and police. Our standards should take the situation into account, but as Marines we need to be held to a higher standard than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.