• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Heads up on temp lodging! (Marines)

reapergm

So Im pissed. I presume most of you are checked in and settled, but to anyone reading this who hasnt checked in, who might need to stay in a hotel.. be prepared.

On my orders (everyones orders) it states that "A temporary lodging expense is authorized for a total of 10 days (up to $180 a day) in connection with a PCS between two duty statyons in CONUS:... etc etc." So when I checked in with no place to live, I decided to use a hotel for few days until I could get a place. So I found a room at Hampton Inn for a 110$, it was in limit, so I thought whatever. So then after 9 days, I got a nice bill for almost a grand. I brought it to admin and they submitted claim. A few days later I checked my account and there was a 500$ reimbursement. I went in to ask today. They told me about the wonderful thing called Per Diem. Apparenty... (not to anyone except admins knowledge), if you are single you only get 65% of total spending, and thats at the rate they have for that particular area you stay. So for me.. that was $40 a night. I fought it, but they said theyres nothing that they can do. They agreed that even though the orders stated that, it only applied to people with 2 dependants. Thats why it said, "UP TO.. 180." They could have wrote that the $180 is for people with dependents on the orders, but thats too hard for admin to figure out I guess. Everyone, even staff said it was messed up, and I got shafted.. but oh well. So now I learned a nice $400+ lesson.

So if you are checking into a hotel for temp stay, it better be a ghetto motel, or you wont get any money back!:icon_rage :icon_rage

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Out of curiosity, did you have actual PCS orders? I ask because on the Navy side of the house, your first orders aren't PCS orders, they're Appointment orders, and are not eligible for PCS benefits. This probably wouldn't have helped, but who knows. Sorry for the bad news.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the plus side, you've learned a lesson in how travel pay works.

on topic... the partial per diem rate is used where there are government quarters/meals available. It's a per diem rate + like $3 incidentals. First and last day are at 75% of that rate. And actually yes, everyone knows about per diem and most know how it works. Do you honestly think the MC is going to foot the bill for a $180/night hotel?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
gatordev said:
Out of curiosity, did you have actual PCS orders? I ask because on the Navy side of the house, your first orders aren't PCS orders, they're Appointment orders, and are not eligible for PCS benefits. This probably wouldn't have helped, but who knows. Sorry for the bad news.

On the Marine side of the house we came from Quantico so this isn't our first duty station so they actually are PCS orders.

Back to the original post...did you check with BOQ at NASP when you checked in? If they had rooms available then yeah, sucks for you because like Squeeze said, the MC is not going to pay for your 180 /night room. I can't attest to your company but when I was at Quantico they explained all of this in very mindnumbing detail...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
jamnww said:
On the Marine side of the house we came from Quantico so this isn't our first duty station so they actually are PCS orders.

D'oh! I don't know why I forgot that. Never mind then. As for getting the non-availability from the Q...that's key.

reapergm

Yeah, I checked the on base housing, they stamped me with no rooms available.

squeeze said:
Do you honestly think the MC is going to foot the bill for a $180/night hotel?

Honestly.. yes, I did. If that what was written on my orders, why shouldnt I. I mean hell, seems like gov't fits the craziest bills. For example.. giving someone a grand for renting a $100 truck and putting their queen sized bed in. I guess I should have taken the dity route and taken advantage of the money thats thrown around elsewhere. I understand the system, just wish I knew details before I acted. I would have gotten a cheaper hotel, but I checked in during the weekend of the Marine Ball. There werent many lodging options! But like you said... yeah.. lesson learned. Thats why Im hoping to prevent some other poor sop from making the same mistake!

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Hey Reaper. If u know any Marines who jsut reported to NASP and need a place to live, send'em over my way. I got 3 rooms with their names on it :)

reapergm

Hey Fezz, Charlie Company seems to still be coming down, and I think Delta Company just graduatated. I would call the Mike Company office up in Quantico. Im sure they would post something up for you to let those guys coming down know about it. Send me a PM and Ill give you the M Co office number! Im sure there are Marines up there that need a place.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, a painful lesson but most admin lessons are painful. File this away for both your won future use and when you send Jr Marines off on TAD or they are PCSing for the first time tell them the story. Eating that sucks as an O-1 but is crippling to an E-4.