• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hcs 5

bobbybrock

None
I was told that HCS 5 will become HCS 85. Does anyone have any info on this unit? Do they have a geographic limit? For example do you have to live within 300 miles or less.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
-5 is out of San Diego (NASNI). They're not a reserve squadron in the sense that you come and drill and then go to your regular job. They're an active-reserve squadron, now called FTS (used to be TAR). What that means exactly, I haven't fully figured out, but basically you're always getting paid and on active duty. I don't know how you get your foot in the door from the Green side, but on the Navy side, there's an app you put in for FTS and you put your choices down for communities (HTs, VTs, HCS, VR, HSL, etc). I'm sure you're a VERY competitve candidate. I've heard that they've gotten more selective and seem to take most of their guys from HS post-9/11, and not as much from HSL or HC. But that's not really a factor for you.

Bevo16

pilot
There are other reserve units in SD that fly other missions. HC guys can go fly the H-3 and pick up training torps on the SCORE range off of SC Island and make log runs.

Over the next 5 years most of the helo squadrons in SD are going to change designations. HC-11 is already HSC-21, and a new HSC squadron is standing up early next month. All of the current HS squadrons will become HSC squadrons and HSL will become HSM as the Romeo comes on line.