• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hawaii Homeport

Oliversk0999

Hi,

any advice on Hawaii as a homeport? good place to live? have a car? etc.

I am single, 22, SWO select for OCS looking (hoping) to get Hawaii as a homeport.

Any advice is welcome, if you have been stationed in Hawaii please let me know how your experience was and the quality of living, Pros and Cons?

thanks

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi,

I am single, 22, SWO select for OCS looking (hoping) to get Hawaii as a homeport.

Any advice is welcome, if you have been stationed in Hawaii please let me know how your experience was and the quality of living, Pros and Cons?

thanks

Lots of information you can find around here, Reddit and throughout the internets.

Meyerkord

pilot
I'm in Hawaii right now and it's pretty great. I've been here for 8 months and don't have many cons yet. Having a car isn't a problem at all, and there's a ton to do if you're an outdoorsy type of person. Great beaches and hikes, pretty easy to travel to the other islands. Some people get island fever after a while, and it's a ~6 hour flight from the mainland, so if you have any sort of separation anxiety from your friends and family then I guess it could be more difficult. I'm not a SWO but if you have any other questions about living here, let me know.

croakerfish

pilot
Hi,

thanks
I loved Guam and from everything I’ve heard Hawaii is like a much bigger and better Guam.

Ozarky

pilot
I’m in Kauai. Very different from Oahu, in mostly good ways. I love it.
Brett, I seem to recall you mentioning shore tour flying opportunities at barking sands, but couldn’t find it when I searched. Is it limited to station pilot jobs, and as far as you know would that be post-JO sea tour?

Meyerkord

pilot
I guess I missed that. Are you guys still in H103? I'm curious if the sono covers are still hanging up on the hangar wall.
We are indeed still in H103, but we’re actually moving to H101 over the following 2 weeks. A lot of stuff is already packed up, but there was still a decent collection of sono covers in the hangar. I’m sure they’ll make their way over.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We are indeed still in H103, but we’re actually moving to H101 over the following 2 weeks. A lot of stuff is already packed up, but there was still a decent collection of sono covers in the hangar. I’m sure they’ll make their way over.

I may have to have you post a picture when they go back up. I'm curious if ours is still around. It was a piece of art by my 'framers.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett, I seem to recall you mentioning shore tour flying opportunities at barking sands, but couldn’t find it when I searched. Is it limited to station pilot jobs, and as far as you know would that be post-JO sea tour?
I have post JO and post DH billets here… it’s shore and remote. Station RC-26, with some range clearance mission as well, so it’s not all log runs. Mostly VP/RW guys, but I have an E-2C and an E-6 guy. Good place to build multi-engine hours for folks transitioning out. Pretty chill lifestyle.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think it was asked previously (perhaps in another thread), but the S61s are contracted through CHI at the moment, I believe. They're always looking for pilots for AUTEC and the desert. I'm pretty sure I saw a listing for PMRF the other day on JSFirm.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it was asked previously (perhaps in another thread), but the S61s are contracted through CHI at the moment, I believe. They're always looking for pilots for AUTEC and the desert. I'm pretty sure I saw a listing for PMRF the other day on JSFirm.
Current RW contract is with Croman, but that's being taken over by another firm soon.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Current RW contract is with Croman, but that's being taken over by another firm soon.

Gotcha. CHI may be the ones who picked it up or maybe they're bidding. Here's the listing from them for Kauai.