• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Harriers on LPD

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Gents,

Been amazed learning USMC sent two-airplane dets to Austin-class. What for? VTOL from helipad allows AV8 to lift just pilot and his personal shit, no more. What the tactical considerations was there for such deployment?

Max the Mad Russian

Dunno for sure?
But when our admirals claimed Yak-38 deployed on Kresta cass, our NavAir colones said "getta fuck off, since VTOL is far cry from STOL"

Renegade One

None
Gents,

Been amazed learning USMC sent two-airplane dets to Austin-class. What for? VTOL from helipad allows AV8 to lift just pilot and his personal shit, no more. What the tactical considerations was there for such deployment?
The first rule of USMC two-airplane Harrier dets on Austin-class is that WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT USMC two-airplane Harrier dets on Austin-class.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Apparently this was a thing. Looks like you could get a Harrier aboard but can't imagine getting off in anything other than a stripped configuration.

Max the Mad Russian

I was fascinated to learn that the Belarusian Navy has deployed 8 guys in the Screw Off Class six man rafts

There's no Navy in land-locked Belarus. But the Coast Guard exists (part of Border Guard), one small craft division on the Dnepr river, the only water border of the country, Ukraine is on the other bank. What is really amazing is that CO of that division is O-6.

Max the Mad Russian

Banging your mom

Well, what should I tell you... cultural estimation of such urban slang by any other nation could be the direct cause to the shoot, you leatherneck. Just in case. Far from the threat, just reminder.

But ok, what we can do here is remember that there were much more troubles with Harriers vertical takeoff than the profits drawn from such pattern. In Soviet experience, since Yak-38 VTOL aircraft was natural shit, even occasional needs for CAP operating from detached DDG or LST were usually preferrable solved by shore-based interceptors, if the range allowed, with just directions from that ship. VTOL jets operating from the short decks become potentially written off at the moment of such decision, and what is more important, the pilots's fate goes same way. That is why the tactical thought under that is important: what could justify such fruitless risk? Note, this time I concern of your brethren.

Max the Mad Russian

Lust for Soviet poon.
Brett, I'm not your enemy. Rather a member of other sport team which once had been clearly defeated by your one's management, with no straight game. But it doesn't mean my team had no wise technics, tactics and training. Note: Soviet team and not modern Russian one which plays in much lower division for sure. What, essentially, I try to do here is to exchange experience. You of course can think I have nothing to sell but I'm not selling. It's for free.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett, I'm not your enemy. Rather a member of other sport team which once had been clearly defeated by your one's management, with no straight game. But it doesn't mean my team had no wise technics, tactics and training. Note: Soviet team and not modern Russian one which plays in much lower division for sure. What, essentially, I try to do here is to exchange experience. You of course can think I have nothing to sell but I'm not selling. It's for free.
Russia is an adversary nation to the US. Your government and military demonstrates that every day. Until that changes, you’ll be treated accordingly.

Max the Mad Russian

Russia is an adversary nation to the US

Brett, squadron CO should be more liberal I think, since there's XO for dumb fucking black and white view of life. You're moderator here, so check my IP-address. It is either BY or UA. Repeat, my main passport is Belarussian. Want me to scan it and show you as well as to everyone? It's easy to do. Otherwise it all would be as in short story about Spielberg and Iceberg: if someone refuses to switch his\her brain on, it is pretty easy to explain everything by plain feelings. Yes I sometimes visit Moscow pursuing business interests but you as American cannot blame one for that since the business interests as such is something USA were built on. Or, if you'd were service academy grad, you might say no, there were much more basics for USA to exist, but you are not Canoe U man.

All in all, forgive me please for not being American or German or Italian or, eventually (I mean that), Saudi - since they all are your friends. Sometimes the person you hate could say much more useful things than person who depends on you. Not me personally, but generally. Your naval pschychologist with same sleeve strips you wear will say that at any time.