• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HangarSphere needs your assistance

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
the newest & largest Master Jet Base at NAS Lemoore CA. Although it's 50th anniversary was celebrated 1 Iuly last year, it is the last NAS built, and has been continually upgraded & expanded over those years.

My old man has told me the story of his visit to the opening ceremony of NASL several times, probably because he can't remember that he has told it to me dozens of times before. Apparently he went there, told some old lady (who would have turned 201 today actually were she still alive) that his steed, the P2V, was "highly subsonic" (she gasped and told her farmer husband "SEE I TOLD you it was fast"), and then proceeded to do a low tranny leaving the place for Moffett or wherever he was going back to. I suspect at eleventy billion years of age, there is some fiction in his story, but it is entertaining. I'm sure one day when I have a kid who flies rusted out P-8's, I will tell them stories geared at impressing their inner prop pilot......"so there I was, over the ocean, and I did a position report on HF"

HangarSphere

How are the executives of Google, apparently working in concert, not Google? Is H211 LLC the Google flight department that has been spun off for FAA certificate purposes allowing them to hold their aircraft out for charter? That isn't uncommon. Give me a break. It is Google by any other name?

Almost every corporation that has a flight department usually incorporates a side company to run it. Google's flight department, in this case is H211 LLC. It is a common practice as it adds yet another layer of legal and financial protection (buffer) in case the unthinkable happens. The general public will see it as "Google" regardless of the corporate structure.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Almost every corporation that has a flight department usually incorporates a side company to run it. Google's flight department, in this case is H211 LLC. It is a common practice as it adds yet another layer of legal and financial protection (buffer) in case the unthinkable happens. The general public will see it as "Google" regardless of the corporate structure.

Or it provides a convenient way to make your company transit/ferry/airlift flights fall under part 91 to save the $$$

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or it provides a convenient way to make your company transit/ferry/airlift flights fall under part 91 to save the $$$
Not the way I remember it. If Google held the part 135 certificate then they can fly their own planes part 91 if they wish, and charter them to others part 135. But if a separate company, H211 I assume, holds the certificate then Google should be paying them for part 135 missions. Google may be H211's only client. That is what I meant by say it is Google regardless. In the end, when you are flying big iron like Google I don't think there is any real savings to part 91 in house flying.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
My old man has told me the story of his visit to the opening ceremony of NASL several times, probably because he can't remember that he has told it to me dozens of times before. Apparently he went there, told some old lady (who would have turned 201 today actually were she still alive) that his steed, the P2V, was "highly subsonic" (she gasped and told her farmer husband "SEE I TOLD you it was fast"), and then proceeded to do a low tranny leaving the place for Moffett or wherever he was going back to. I suspect at eleventy billion years of age, there is some fiction in his story, but it is entertaining. I'm sure one day when I have a kid who flies rusted out P-8's, I will tell them stories geared at impressing their inner prop pilot......"so there I was, over the ocean, and I did a position report on HF"

Don't forget that time you got a PRESS LOW light and spit the associated wordage out verbatim.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apparently he went there, told some old lady (who would have turned 201 today actually were she still alive) that his steed, the P2V, was "highly subsonic" (she gasped and told her farmer husband "SEE I TOLD you it was fast"), and then proceeded to do a low tranny leaving the place for Moffett or wherever he was going back to.

"highly subsonic", that's epic! I'm thinking that your Dad had a good ol' NA sense of humor? Actually, we missed the opening ceremony. My squadron's (VA-55) home base was officially changed from Miramar to Lemoore on 01July1961, the day of that ceremony... but we were already deployed in WestPac on USS TICONDEROGA and didn't get to NASL until the AirWing Five fly-off in Dec. '61.;)
NAS Lemoore Rwys 32L & 32R 1963.jpg
BzB

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Not the way I remember it. If Google held the part 135 certificate then they can fly their own planes part 91 if they wish, and charter them to others part 135. But if a separate company, H211 I assume, holds the certificate then Google should be paying them for part 135 missions. Google may be H211's only client. That is what I meant by say it is Google regardless. In the end, when you are flying big iron like Google I don't think there is any real savings to part 91 in house flying.

What I was getting at was that this arrangement allows a bunch of businesses with mutual interests to be legally associated with the LLC that owns the airplanes. My old employer in college did this a bunch, to fly loosely related execs in the Citation under part 91, even though they were really different companies altogether. I'm not sure if this is legal, and it's probably beyond the statute of limitations now, but it is what it was. My understanding (which could be BS) is that it saved them on annual training and mx req's, and also of course loosened the operational limitations.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
"highly subsonic", that's epic! I'm thinking that your Dad had a good ol' NA sense of humor? Actually, we missed the opening ceremony. My squadron's (VA-55) home base was officially changed from Miramar to Lemoore on 01July1961, the day of that ceremony... but we were already deployed in WestPac on USS TICONDEROGA and didn't get to NASL until the AirWing Five fly-off in Dec. '61.;)
View attachment 11325
BzB

He's a funny old guy, and has definitely been entertained living vicariously through my exploits. The move from Miramar must have been a bit of a morale crusher, though maybe SD wasn't what it is now back then?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I'll have to throw one out for pretty much any F35 facility. I visited the site down at Eglin AFB where all of the initial joint training will be held, and where VMFAT-501 is based, and it is one he'll of a facility. I'm not sure if it is "normal" by Air Force standards but it is a totally new paradigm for Marine aviation. I also just got back from Yuma, AZ which is going to be the home of the first operational F35Bs very soon, and the base is one big construction zone. The first hangar is an rch from being finished and a whole bunch more are in the works.

And in case anybody is wondering, no I don't have a crush on the F35, it's just that I've never seen anything like the spaces/complexes that are being reserved as their home.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
When we were flying out of Tyndall recently, I had a country club style locker for all my gear, and there were more flat screen TV's than anyone in the AF knew what to do with. Same for an earlier det to Nellis (in terms of apparent $$$). It's a different world, though at the end of the day, they don't have to also buy a fleet of ships like we do.