• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Guns !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Gun Thread !!!!! Gasp !!!

Gun Thread --- or what might pass for it:

Rather than do a search and not get a recommendation to go with said search --- does anyone know a good outfit to go to for a drop-in .357 SiG barrel for my Springfield XD .40 S&W ??? I know some companies have made them --- anyone have a good one to go after .... ???

Springfield_XD40.jpg

( :) smiles ..... because I care ..... :) )

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Thanks, Fly ... and Bar-Sto is a good outfit -- used 'em before. But if I read the link correctly --- they don't have what I am looking for ??). I have a 4" 40 S&W that I want to convert to .357 SiG with a drop-in barrel. If I am not reading the webpage correctly, let me know.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah that page is a little confusing. Seems you can choose a 357sig barrel for the 4", even though it says for converting to 9mm. Not sure how to read that. I'd probably call them/e-mail them and ask.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Roger that ... I will call Bar-sto in the AM. BTW, their .357 SiG drop-in for my Walther P99 has never failed to feed or function and groups 2.5" @ 25 yards from a sandbag rest -- not too bad for aftermarket bbl.

l-4011.jpg
walter-p99.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow very nice for a drop-in. I'd love to get a threaded barrel for my P226, but MS doesn't allow for sound suppressors, so it's kinda useless.

VAmookie

whats the point of having a drop in barrel. arent the most functional barrels the ones that come stock from the manufacturer.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
CORPSviation said:
whats the point of having a drop in barrel. arent the most functional barrels the ones that come stock from the manufacturer.

Say for example you buy a SIG P226 in .40 S&W. You can get drop-in barrels to convert it to 357sig or 9mm.

Or, maybe you want a longer barrel. Or, maybe you want a threaded barrel. Maybe you want a conventionally rifled barrel for a Glock so you can shoot cast bullets. Maybe you want a better barrel. Just like cars, after-market parts can be better than the manufacturer parts.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
CORPSviation said:

Not necessarily --- and in this case, functionality is not the issue. I like the ballistics for the .357 SiG better than 40 S&W, sooooooooo .... through the miracle of modern science -- I can have a pistol of my chosing and the caliber I desire without having to buy another pistol. PLUS -- drop-in is really nice as it requires no gunsmithing (fitting). We're referring to protection/carry pistols, and not match grade, of course. When you get a "drop-in" that shoots as good or better than the original manufacter's bbl -- well, you've got something there ...

I like the .45 ACP the best, but that's not what we're talking here ....

357sig_01.jpg
40sw_01.jpg
45acp_02.jpg

:)) smiles ... so no one wants to shoot me for this post .... :) )

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
That's the one I was looking for --- you can go 9mm or .357 SiG for your XD-40? What magazines work for the 9mm conversion --- tell me, tell me, tell me, before I spend a lot of time looking.

And where does one get in line ... ???

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
A4sForever said:
That's the one I was looking for --- you can go 9mm or .357 SiG for your XD-40? What magazines work for the 9mm conversion --- tell me, tell me, tell me, before I spend a lot of time looking.

And where does one get in line ... ???

you can use .40 mags filled w/ 9mm.... but they aren't to reliable. The 12rd .40 mag will hold 17 9mm rounds... lots of trouble feeding. I just sported for 2 hi-cap mags from

http://www.andean-inc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TAOS&Category_Code=SPGFLD

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The almost century old .45ACP bullet standard is a 230 grain round nose design --- works fine, lasts a long time. BUT: the new .45GAP standard for 185, 200, & 230 grain bullets sports a more modern flat point/hollow point design -- and thus feeds in pistols more "naturally" (?) with flat/hollow point bullets.

Sooooooooo ..... does anyone here have any first-hand experience with the .45 GAP cartridge ??? I am thinking about purchasing something in that cartridge --- but, of course, I know nothing except what various gun writers' provide and who usually have an ax to grind in their reviews .... MAHALO

MVC-006F.jpg

.45 G.A.P. cartridge (left), .45 ACP cartridge (right)

Status
Not open for further replies.