• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun Recomendations

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Go with the .22 for a first rifle. Whoever said Ruger 10/22 gave you good advice. You can move up later when you learn more and decide where your interests in firearms lies. The first .30-06 I took to the range left an impression on me --- sore shoulder for 4-5 days after putting 60-70 rounds downrange. That's not how you want to start, and it's too expensive for a new guy --- unless your parents are wealthy.

Yup, good advice. You do NOT want to develop a flinch early in your shooting experience. It's a pain to work out if you are a beginner. I STILL get flinches from shooting hot .357 Magnum loads... but I know what to do to stop them.

Grant

A4sForever said:
Go with the .22 for a first rifle. Whoever said Ruger 10/22 gave you good advice. You can move up later when you learn more and decide where your interests in firearms lies. The first .30-06 I took to the range left an impression on me --- sore shoulder for 4-5 days after putting 60-70 rounds downrange. That's not how you want to start, and it's too expensive for a new guy --- unless your parents are wealthy.

I started out with my uncle's .22LR, cant remember the maker. The first rifle thats "mine" is the one I posted above, the Savage .30-06. To make a .30-06 more comfortable for a beginner, I've discovered a good combination... a good recoil pad, and Remington "Managed-Recoil" ammo. :D

Off topic, but I'm having the damnedst time getting that scope zeroed. I dont know if its just a crappy scope (it came with the rifle), or if I just need more patience.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grant said:
I started out with my uncle's .22LR, cant remember the maker. The first rifle thats "mine" is the one I posted above, the Savage .30-06. To make a .30-06 more comfortable for a beginner, I've discovered a good combination... a good recoil pad, and Remington "Managed-Recoil" ammo. :D

You still started with a .22.

Off topic, but I'm having the damnedst time getting that scope zeroed. I dont know if its just a crappy scope (it came with the rifle), or if I just need more patience.

Maybe it's you :icon_tong (best way to find out, in all seriousness, is to have someone else shoot it)

Grant

Fly Navy said:
You still started with a .22.

Yes sir. Dont think that I was trying to discourage him from starting with a .22. I meant that when he makes the jump from a .22 to a centerfire rifle, to keep those pointers in mind, to make the transition better. :D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grant said:
Yes sir. Dont think that I was trying to discourage him from starting with a .22. I meant that when he makes the jump from a .22 to a centerfire rifle, to keep those pointers in mind, to make the transition better. :D

Haha ok gotcha.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Second (third, fourth?) all the recommendations for a 10/22. I'd recommend the Ruger 10/22 autoloader...unless you're set on a bolt-action, or, God forbid, a lever action.

Savage makes great rifles, too...just shot a friend's .308 the other day and loved it...but start with the .22.

For 1911s, also a supporter of Springfield, and Kimber. I have one of each, a Springfield Loaded model in Stainless, and a Kimber Classic (Series 1) Stainless. Both are great, but the Kimber is my top concealed carry weapon.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
I posted that. It won't apply to him since he cames from California. Only applies to those not native to CA.

Btw, after 3 months of sitting on my desk in complete laziness, I finally mailed in my Florida CCW application.

True enough. But, if he ends up in Florida and is a smart fellow, he will become a Floridian, pay no state income taxes and......

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
feddoc said:
True enough. But, if he ends up in Florida and is a smart fellow, he will become a Floridian, pay no state income taxes and......

Doesn't matter if you change your residence... they were talking about it over on ARFCOM. Unless they don't somehow miraculously find out you're originally from CA. However, if he's smart, he'll still change it... :)

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I've heard good things about it from several people who carry. Here is a series of reviews on it by someone who reviews/shoots a lot.

The 1st 2 are reviews in the realm of using it as your CCW.
This 3rd video is overall impression of the gun.