• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Guard flight school or local flight school?

LenoLax17

Just would like to see what some of you would do in my situation and would like to get your advice. I applied for a Navy Officer pilot spot and wasn't selected. So I went and looked at what the Guard had to offer and they are offering a lot! They are going to pay off my student loans (4 year private school), giving me an officer spot and are guaranteeing me a pilot spot. The pilot spot they are offering is a helicopter gig and not fixed wing, though.
Now the other choice I have is to still join the guard as an officer but instead of going to Fort Rucker, I'd choose to go to my states aviation flight school. Tuition would be paid through my TA so I don't have to worry about that, and I have part ownership in 3 planes so I get a very good rate while flying. To get the rest of my ratings (already have my ppl), its going to cost me, about 20k.
Either route, it's going to take 2 years to complete, give or take a couple months. I'm just not sure I want to train n fly helos because the lack of copter demand in the civilian world. So what would you do? Is 20k of debt worth it? Or is paid copter flight school a no brainer? Would love any constructive advise and wisdom from you all. What say you?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
My two cents: The Guard will pay for flight school and you'll be a pilot in the Guard. That means free flight hours.
Or you can join the Guard and be a ground-pounder and pay to fly on your own.

Since 50% of Navy pilots are helo pilots, you have as more of a chance of flying helos than anything else, so that point may be moot. Yes, you could be part of the other 50% and fly something else, but that's the risk you take.

Is your ultimate goal to be a commercial pilot? If so, then why join the Guard at all? Get your civillian ticket and rush the regional airlines.

If you goal is to get all your flight school paid for, then looks like you'll be flying helos.

As a helo pilot, I can tell you that it's a shit load of fun, don't discount them!

May a recommend a third option. Go through flight school in the Guard but continue to pursue civillian aviation as career. The airlines may be interested in multi-engine fixed wing flight hours, but adding a bunch of helo time on top may make you a more appealing candiate come application time. Also having fixed and rotary wing quals (and hours) may open up Customs jobs or State Police jobs that some folks may not be qualified since they only have either fixed or rotary wing time.

You question should be focused at determining what do you want to do; being a civillian pilot or a military pilot? That should dictate which decision you make. Good luck!

exNavyOffRec

Any idea why you weren't selected? What were your scores, GPA, did all your employers submit LOR's for you or were some missing that would raise flags? What board were you at?

robav8r

None
Contributor
I'm just not sure I want to train n fly helos because the lack of copter demand in the civilian world . . . .

I think helolumpy brings up many good points. But it's not just about the type of flight training and ultimate platform, it's about the Officer part as well, you know?

KBayDog

I'm just not sure I want to train n fly helos because the lack of copter demand in the civilian world.

On what, pray tell, are you basing this assumption?

You're not going to hurt anybody's feelings if you just admit that you don't want to fly helos.

LenoLax17

To be completely honest, I'm not sure what my ultimate goal is in regards to flying. I'm not convinced yet that flying airlines is for me and I haven't given much thought to flying helos. From what I've heard, if I want to fly, i should become a warrant officer bc as an officer you're gonna be behind a desk a lot n warrant officers do a lot of the flying hours. I don't want to be behind a desk. I want to be an officer bc of the leadership role I play, the pride in being an officer, the good you can do, and the the challenges I'll face n overcome. The fact that my student loans will be paid off and I have insurance isn't too shabby either. Also, I see myself flight instructing somewhere in the northern part of the country or giving flight tours in a national park. I'm looking for adventure, not a $100,000 salary...yet ;) if I was to go regionals, I'd love to move to Asia since the industry is booming there I think I'd like to experience that for a few years as well.
I haven't given much thought on helos. flying is flying and in one scenario I'm being paid to learn to fly (guard) and the other I'm paying to fly and then scraping to get cash for lessons (civilian).
In regards to whyi wasn't selected for the navy, I had a mediocre gpa, non tech major, and scored just a bit more than average. Just wasn't competitve enough.
I don't wanna be an idiot and throw away a good opportunity with the guard. Just trying to look at all my options.
Thanks for the feedback so far

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
To be completely honest, I'm not sure what my ultimate goal is in regards to flying. I'm not convinced yet that flying airlines is for me and I haven't given much thought to flying helos. From what I've heard, if I want to fly, i should become a warrant officer bc as an officer you're gonna be behind a desk a lot n warrant officers do a lot of the flying hours. I don't want to be behind a desk. I want to be an officer bc of the leadership role I play, the pride in being an officer, the good you can do, and the the challenges I'll face n overcome. The fact that my student loans will be paid off and I have insurance isn't too shabby either. Also, I see myself flight instructing somewhere in the northern part of the country or giving flight tours in a national park. I'm looking for adventure, not a $100,000 salary...yet ;) if I was to go regionals, I'd love to move to Asia since the industry is booming there I think I'd like to experience that for a few years as well.
I haven't given much thought on helos. flying is flying and in one scenario I'm being paid to learn to fly (guard) and the other I'm paying to fly and then scraping to get cash for lessons (civilian).
In regards to whyi wasn't selected for the navy, I had a mediocre gpa, non tech major, and scored just a bit more than average. Just wasn't competitve enough.
I don't wanna be an idiot and throw away a good opportunity with the guard. Just trying to look at all my options.

You talk about "The Guard" and then talk about Warrants doing the flying (BTW, Warrants are Officers, too). So I'm deducing that you're talking Army National Guard and not Air Guard. So with that... What the hell else did you/were you planning on flying in the Guard if it wasn't helos? The majority of Army aviation is helos (or choppers, if you'd like), so I'd plan on that being your end state. Now the Air Force (Air Guard...or whatever they're called), sure, they're lots of other options. Just be sure what you're actually looking at what you're signing up for.

exNavyOffRec

By mediocre GPA are you talking under or over 3.0 and on the ASTB if you are saying you scored a 5 or 6 then I would figure that is why you were a non select, but why not try again, if you can get to a 7 with a GPA over 3.o you should have a really good chance, last board there were many with ASTB scores of 6 that were picked up.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Take the Guard gig. Ultimately it is just part time. That gives you plenty of opportunity to "find yourself". If you love helos, great, you are on your way. If you prefer fixed wing, build the hours while the Guard pays you and your loans aren't a bother anymore. Your fixed wing training we be a bit cheaper since under part 91 you get a break when transitioning helo to fixed wing or vis versa. No ground school or writtens required and some lessor flight hour requirements. In the end you will be dual rated and that opens up a lot more job opportunities, most of which are the more adventuresome you seem to desire.