• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good recovery

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, considering you cut your own tail rotor off....

Lawman

None
What do you want to bet the first words out of the guy on the Starboard side were along the lines of "Go get me some new pants...."

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
WTF is with the cargo net on the deck that could cause any number of bad things. He never seemed to lose his tail rotor.
All in All from my limited view on the video these guys seem like a traveling circus, big clown noses for all.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WTF is with the cargo net on the deck that could cause any number of bad things. He never seemed to lose his tail rotor.
All in All from my limited view on the video these guys seem like a traveling circus, big clown noses for all.

Watch it again closely...to me (and I'm a jet guy) it looks like he clipped his own tail rotor...you can see it (the tail rotor) spinning and flapping around. Maybe causng the rotation prior to setting it down (full off collective???). I got no idea what the heck I'm talking about now... :eek:

I'm guessing the nets were to make friction with the deck...sort of like wetting the wardroom tablecloth in heavy seas to keep the dishes from sliding.

r/
G

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It looks like he drifted forward because of the deck pitching, aft cyclic to correct the drift, smacked the stinger (tail rotor protector), then tail and started to spin. Lucky dude, lowered collective and stopped. Pure luck caught on tape.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I stand corrected, looks like he smashed his t/r and pulled a bunch of collective initially-bad reaction, there are no up collective emergencies.
As for the netting I agree that was the intent however hooking a skid toe or heel on landing or take off sets up a dynamic roll over situation and is more dangerous and likely than the natural sliding around on the deck, cant tell if they have nonskid on there or not but nonskid loses much of its helpfulness around month 3 or 4.
Never take off until someone shows you all the tie downs confirming that they are no longer on your aircraft.

I hold true to my original statement clown show.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I stand corrected, looks like he smashed his t/r and pulled a bunch of collective initially-bad reaction, there are no up collective emergencies.
As for the netting I agree that was the intent however hooking a skid toe or heel on landing or take off sets up a dynamic roll over situation and is more dangerous and likely than the natural sliding around on the deck, cant tell if they have nonskid on there or not but nonskid loses much of its helpfulness around month 3 or 4.
Never take off until someone shows you all the tie downs confirming that they are no longer on your aircraft.

I hold true to my original statement clown show.

I second your clown assessment.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
N480KP.jpg

N480KP

Places I would never consider for a charter now include "Chartfleet Helicopters, Inc."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not negating the clown show reaction, but I wonder if someone either had a little too much forward cyclic and/or a touch of up collective and as the stern came down, the disc caught a bit of lift, sliding it forward. Then, as Skid mentioned, he pulled up. Very odd.

I'm w/ Schnugg on the cargo net. Probably some sort of half-assed non-skid.