• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going to the Airlines, with a VA Disability rating?

ThrowAway4HIPAA

I am applying and hoping to get picked up for commercial aviation.

This weekend I got my VA Disability package back, and have a cumulative score of 100%. Assuming no single issue is a downer at my FAA physical... can I retain my Class 1 Flight Physical? Will I still be able to get a job at the airlines?

I'm NOT in one of the disability levels that precludes employment. According to the VA I can still get any job I want and earn an income while receiving my disability claim.

I am not receiving anything for [nor do I have a record of] Sleep Apnea, I know that's usually a no-no for the FAA. My issues stem from backpain/shoulderpain/neckpain/PreviousBrokenHip and a few other issues that I do not think would be of concern to the FAA or flight capability. Eyes are still fine, I have mild tinnitus but figure as long as I can pass the hearing test I'm ok?

Is anyone in here receiving Disability and working at the airlines? If you could, please feel free to post some experiences or PM me for a more private discussion of your experiences or recommendations.

Thank you, friends.

HuggyU2

None
You will be fine if you can pass the Class I. None of the things you mentioned should prevent that.

I know airline pilots with MS, one eye, missing fingers... you get the idea.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
OK...item 18Y on your FAA physical asks, "Are you receiving any disability payments." You are through the VA and you will have to completely and fully justify those medical issues to the examiner. During my last 3rd Class physical the AME said checking "Yes" on 18Y automatically meant my physical had to go to Oklahoma City where it was reviewed, thought about, lost, and reviewed and returned five months later with a "cleared to fly."

If you are serious about this, spend a few thousand on a company like "Pilot Medical Solutions" who will usher your medical through the FAA system and get it back to you quickly.

Also, if your VA 100% is based on the culmination of items then you will lose some money when you work (essentially you will fall back to your highest non-100% level). Still, if you are drawing an airline paycheck and even a 70% VA check you are going to make some money.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think HAL responded to a similar question a few months back. He might be able to shed some light. BL: he notated it on his record that his condition(s) didn't affect his ability to pilot an aircraft and passed Go.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I've been checking yes to disability payments for years. As long as it is not something automatically grounding or for which that the AME manual specifically requires a special issuance, the doctor can issue you a medical on the spot without Okalahoma City approval.

I have tinnitus, hearing lose, hemorrhoids, and arthritis for my disability rating. None required a review by OK City either before or after the doctor issued my 1st class physical.

I also went on blood pressure medication about 10 years ago. Since the doctor determined it was adequately controlled with no side effects, he issued me a 1st class. But in this case he had to note it specifically for OK City review. They sent me a letter for a one time set of blood test to be submitted with my next physical. I did not need a special issuance and there was nothing anotated on my physical stating "cleared to fly".

It wasn't until I started type 2 diabetes medication that I needed a special issuance with OK City approval prior to being issued a physical. For that, it gave the doctor authority to issue my future physicals after a yearly A1C test showing it below a certain level. So it was a one time approval as long as I meet this condition. The AME manual had a specific amount of time on medication under observation prior to being issued the physical. When that time was up, my AME submitted the paperwork to OK City and followed up with a phone call 3 days later. I had my physical in hand within 10 days of the paperwork being submitted.

As long as your disabilities do not affect your ability to safely fly a plane, it is not a problem and no prior approval is needed. The AME can issue you a physical on the spot.

There is no reason to spend a lot of money on a Pilot Solutions or AMAS unless you have a major disability like a cardiac issue, take insulin, etc. Then there is no reason as you probably won't get a medical anyway...

BTW all physicals go to OK City and are ultimately subject to review. They just rarely review them unless the AME asks them too.

If an AME says checking yes means automatically being reviewed by OK City, you need to ask him what condition you're getting disability for specifically requires the review. If he just says it's because of the yes answer in general, you need to find a different AME.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Typically, and I wrote this without knowing the OPs medical issues, reaching the 100% threshold with the VA is likely going to exceed an AME's CACI authority in some area. I would carefully check the CACI limits with reference to my disability and go forward from there. As for my AME, it is because of the new BasicMed rule. The good news...I never need to see an AME again because I fly on a lowly 3rd Class cert.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I just saw my AME 5 days ago.

The other thing is, after the first physical with the disability box checked, you never have to explain it again. Checked the box every time during your future physicals and in the required comments simply state "Previously reported, no changes."