• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going to OCS from BDCP

Ajleger

Hey everyone, I'll try to make this to the point. Will anyone who has been through BDCP recently (or especially is graduating this summer) let me know when you are supposed to find out your OCS date? I graduate in 4 weeks, and still do not have my date. I asked my OR about it and he said I would find out closer to graduation, but I heard from another recruiter in the know (who did our PFT for us a couple months back) that I should know my date several months before I go.

It's not a huge deal, and I realize I go whenever they want me to, but my brother (who is enlisted and should make the August boards for OCS as well) is trying to set a wedding date, and whether I'm going to be leaving a week after I graduate or 3 months later could make a difference to his plans.

On a similar note, I believe OCS closes for two weeks during the winter holidays, is there somewhere specific I could find those dates out ahead of time?
Thanks guys.

Lobster

You should have one and your OR should know what it is. I found out mine before I had a final select letter, my OR told me he had a date for me which meant my final select letter was probably on the way.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
You should have an OCS date when you get your PRO-REC. How long have you been in BDCP that you're 4 weeks from graduation and still without an OCS date?

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I don't think I have one... where were yours, m0t and Lobster? I'll check my paperwork.

EDIT: Checked it, don't see an OCS date anywhere.

Lobster

I don't think I have one... where were yours, m0t and Lobster? I'll check my paperwork.

EDIT: Checked it, don't see an OCS date anywhere.

Your OR has it, he has to fill it in on that contact sheet you sign and fill out everytime you meet with him face to face, just ask for it.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Should have been printed on your letter of acceptance after final select/swearing in. If not, your officer recruiter will have it or can find it out.

If it conflicts with a big family wedding, it's not unheard of to delay it or change dates. Keep your recruiter posted with your plans and he can probably coordinate it.

Ajleger

Yeah, it's not on any of my letters, and I've asked my OR about it twice since I signed on (the most recent time being only a couple weeks ago) and he said it will be determined closer to my graduation. I swore into BDCP last October, and my graduation date hasn't changed or anything. I'll email him again, but I don't know if it will do any good. I'd rather not post-pone OCS, my brother is somewhat flexible as long as he knows soon.

Lobster

I didn't have it on my letter either...you're OR has to have it somewhere stay on him about it.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, it's not on any of my letters, and I've asked my OR about it twice since I signed on (the most recent time being only a couple weeks ago) and he said it will be determined closer to my graduation. I swore into BDCP last October, and my graduation date hasn't changed or anything. I'll email him again, but I don't know if it will do any good. I'd rather not post-pone OCS, my brother is somewhat flexible as long as he knows soon.

And I don't exactly meet face to face so I'm not sure if he puts anything in that block or not; I fill out the form and email him the pdf, leaving that block blank since I have no idea.

Don't count on finishing OCS in 12 weeks, or in other words, make sure he doesn't plan his wedding for the week after you "commission" because 50% or so officer candidates roll at some point, so it is likely that you will roll and spend more than 12 weeks there. Make it a safe time after.

navyboy4415

I didn't receive my date until after I graduated. I graduated April 28th and I received my original OCS date on May 5th for the class of June 21st. Two weeks later I was told my date was changed to August 9th. All I'm trying to say is that I recommend that your brother wait to set his wedding date till you graduate OCS. I would then setup leave with your next command so that you can be fully sure you will be able to attend the wedding.

Ajleger

OK thanks guys. I just was starting to think I was the only BDCP'er who didn't have an OCS date. Yeah, I basically just told him not to try too hard to plan around me because I really have no idea when It'll be or even when I'll know, I don't think he'll want to push it back 4 or 5 months just to ensure it. And he does need to pick a date soon. No worries, I'm sure it won't be the last event I'll miss :).

Yeah, I know that a lot of people get rolled, which is even more reason not to try to worry too much about it all.

ExcaliburUSN

I dont know if you got your dates yet but it is usually safe to assume u will class up about 30 days after graduation initially, and then they will push u back. for me, I got change from 06/09 to 07/09 and now 08/09 I leave in ten days... finally.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
I dont know if you got your dates yet but it is usually safe to assume u will class up about 30 days after graduation initially, and then they will push u back. for me, I got change from 06/09 to 07/09 and now 08/09 I leave in ten days... finally.

Wow, kinda surprized by this. I dont have a date either, I called...they checked and said that it wasn't there. Weird thought, that it could be the end of summer even when I'm graduating 02May. If there is a CON to Bdcp this might be it (on a planning stand point and realizing how much the navy owns your life).

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I don't have one either. My SWO buddies in BDCP do. It turns out, according to the recruiting staff, that because pilot training is really backed up they are waiting to assign me an OCS date until they know better where and when they will be able to fit me in. Same goes for the rest of you BDCP SNAs without a date, I'm assuming.