• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going to flight school together...

BRM21o

Does anyone know of two married SNA's that went to flight school together? What is the best way to ensure that we can be stationed together once we're in the fleet? I was thinking of having one of us go through a little bit before the other so the second person can try to select the same platform. I would like to select jets but I would love helos as well. If I get helos I would like to be in an HS squadron. Any suggestions or examples would be GREATLY appreciated!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Yes, i know of a couple who are SNAs right now... in Whiting. There were actually in the same API class if I recall- or pretty close to it anyways. Well they are married so it was pretty obvious they wanted to be stationed togather. I personally think going through at the same time will help you get assigned to the same places and maybe even simplify your moves. You should have a good shot if your married, and in the same service.

KBayDog

BRM21o said:
Will a 22-23 min run time at TBS leave me at a disadvantange? I'm solid in everything else but have always struggled with the run. Thanks!

BRM21o said:
If I get helos I would like to be in an HS squadron.

Am I missing something? Or is this one of those "2+2=8" things?

It sounds like you are going Marine, you might want to re-evalute your HS aspirations.

Also, your "timing" will be decided for you - the two of you will not be in the same TBS company, which will mean different report/start dates for API/Primary/etc. If she's Navy, she'll head to P'Cola while you're at TBS, and most likely get a nice head start on you anyway.

Fred

We have friends who married after flight school. Both are Hornet pilots. They were stationed at the same base...but in different air wings. The hard thing for them was her air wing relived his. They went a good year without seeing each other during each cruise.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
We had a married couple show up at the Prowler RAG. Got on different deployment schedules. Divorced within two years.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
We had a married couple show up at the Prowler RAG. Got on different deployment schedules. Divorced within two years.
Another similar story of Prowler Pilot and ECMO (clear sign of the apocalypse). They were also on opposite deployments and didn't see eachother forever. One of them ended up throwing away a promising career, but in the end is making mad cash as a civilian consultant, so good times.

Brett

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Brett327 said:
Another similar story of Prowler Pilot and ECMO (clear sign of the apocalypse). They were also on opposite deployments and didn't see eachother forever. One of them ended up throwing away a promising career, but in the end is making mad cash as a civilian consultant, so good times.

Brett

Princess? She would have made a great skipper.

BRM21o

KBayDog said:
Am I missing something? Or is this one of those "2+2=8" things?

It sounds like you are going Marine, you might want to re-evalute your HS aspirations.

Also, your "timing" will be decided for you - the two of you will not be in the same TBS company, which will mean different report/start dates for API/Primary/etc. If she's Navy, she'll head to P'Cola while you're at TBS, and most likely get a nice head start on you anyway.

It is one of those 2+2=8 things.

I'm at USNA so I could go either way. I put Marine Air #1 and Navy Air #2...I'm not worried about if we go USMC because Miramar and Pendleton are pretty close. However, LeMoore/North Island and Oceana/Jax aren't too close. If we go Navy, I'd at least want to do some NVG/Turf flying=HS

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Didn't you boatschoolers find out what you got already? Ive got a friend there and he said he found out Nov 16th or so.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
I know a few married/seriously dating couples going through flight school together. If you look at locations, it would be really hard to be stationed together unless you both get the same aircraft.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
BRM21o said:
If we go Navy, I'd at least want to do some NVG/Turf flying=HS

Excellent choice! By the time you hit the fleet, it might be HSC by then. The wings are all ready called that.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
the two of you will not be in the same TBS company, which will mean different report/start dates for API/Primary/etc

I went through TBS with a married couple. They were same company, just different platoons. The were married in the Academy and both Marine Air Contracts. Although, she ended up dropping her air contract. He's in the RAG and she's stationed there with a different unit. I think they were sent different directions when he went to flight school for a couple of years.

KBayDog

I must be speaking of a relatively new practice, then. When I was there ('04...please allow me to dust the salt off), married couples were put into different companies, and no "intimate" relationships were permitted between members of the same company.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
BRM21o said:
Does anyone know of two married SNA's that went to flight school together? What is the best way to ensure that we can be stationed together once we're in the fleet? I was thinking of having one of us go through a little bit before the other so the second person can try to select the same platform. I would like to select jets but I would love helos as well. If I get helos I would like to be in an HS squadron. Any suggestions or examples would be GREATLY appreciated!

IMHO this is doable. There is ample precedent for this. There is two instances I can think of off the top of my head. A current CO of an HSC/HC helo squadron went through primary, FRS, and first squadron tour (Guam) with his spouse - and when shour tour came He went to NAS Pensacola and she went to HT's at Whiting as an IP. It happens. Detailers are people too and more importantly they are your peers in many cases.

An extreme example - sposes deployed in seperate battle groups on opposite schedules - Senior officers frequently make their quarters available on ship so spouses can have a little "quality time" together.

So if the guy in your life and you choose do the same thing, the Navy will generally accomodate you.