• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going through OCS as a Chief or higher

RhodesReese

Is this even a thing on the non LDO side? I’ve seen several people I personally know try to retire before 10 years commissioned at their 20 year mark and millington denied the request. There was no revert back to your previous enlisted rate.

exNavyOffRec

Is this even a thing on the non LDO side? I’ve seen several people I personally know try to retire before 10 years commissioned at their 20 year mark and millington denied the request. There was no revert back to your previous enlisted rate.
That is a good question, I have not known any non LDO's that tried to do this, and I think even with LDO's there is a point of no return.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Not sure if this is still a thing but it used to be you would revert but depending on time to a higher enlisted rank, I served with an LDO who commissioned greater than 10 and was debating reverting so he could retire but found out he was short enough time so he would revert back as a SCPO vice a MCPO that he was looking at. I also served with a LDO who was a LT that was a CWO before, he reverted back to CWO and when reverted became a CWO4 or CWO5. To give a time frame this happened between 10-13 years ago.

Yeah, I've heard of those quirks as well. I don't have the specific references for those cases but the takeaway is that they will retire in the enlisted rank.

As for paygrade, the law stipulates that you get the pay for the grade you held, so in your first example he may have been able to retire as a SCPO but his pay would've been based off the highest pay he received while enlisted, which may have included some MCPO time in there.

It's a weird law and there's a "grassroots" push on the Air Force side to get it changed. Since it's in US code and not a service policy I think it's gonna take awhile to get it changed.

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
It is technically feasbile but it's not likely.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It’s the high-3 from when you were a Chief.

I had some free time and you got me curious... Since High-3 doesn't even look at rank, I was trying to find the blurbage in the Code and couldn't find what you were saying regarding a non-Warrant reverting to Chief pay. I'm not saying it's not there, I just couldn't find it under 6323 or 6333. I did find this in 6323:

"(d) A warrant officer who retires under this
section may elect to be placed on the retired list
in the highest grade and with the highest retired
pay to which he is entitled under any provision
of this title. If the pay of that highest grade is
less than the pay of any warrant grade satisfac -
torily held by him on active duty, his retired
pay shall be based on the higher pay."

I know that's what you were saying, but it's another indication that High-3 is still what you get, regardless of grade or rank.

Obviously you've seen this discussed on the AF side, so I'm not saying it isn't a thing. Admittedly, my eyes glossed over after reading several pages of the U.S. Code. Regardless, it's an interesting discussion.

CWO_change

Someone I know went through OCS as a CTRCS (she picked up senior chief at around year 9 IIRC). She's well known in the CW community, and for good reasons. She was at OCS in the 2015 time frame and says that a certain female DI (those there in that time know who I'm talking about . . . she was a character :D) probably treated her worse because she was a woman and a senior chief. Note, this is before the 6 year TIS limit was implemented for 1810.

Her reasons for commissioning? If she remained enlisted, she'd only have one more rank to achieve and wasn't looking forward to the increasing level of administrative work coming her way as a MCPO. She figured that she'd like to stay technical for a little longer while being able to later advance to ranks where she could have a more meaningful impact on how the community was run.

I was personally at OCS with a couple of chiefs, though they weren't in my class specifically. They were looked to by the others in their class to provide mentorship and knowledge needed to best succeed.

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
I had some free time and you got me curious... Since High-3 doesn't even look at rank, I was trying to find the blurbage in the Code and couldn't find what you were saying regarding a non-Warrant reverting to Chief pay. I'm not saying it's not there, I just couldn't find it under 6323 or 6333. I did find this in 6323:

"(d) A warrant officer who retires under this
section may elect to be placed on the retired list
in the highest grade and with the highest retired
pay to which he is entitled under any provision
of this title. If the pay of that highest grade is
less than the pay of any warrant grade satisfac -
torily held by him on active duty, his retired
pay shall be based on the higher pay."

I know that's what you were saying, but it's another indication that High-3 is still what you get, regardless of grade or rank.

Obviously you've seen this discussed on the AF side, so I'm not saying it isn't a thing. Admittedly, my eyes glossed over after reading several pages of the U.S. Code. Regardless, it's an interesting discussion.
I’ve tried finding the applicable code but can’t either, so it makes me wonder if that part is a service specific thing.

What does seem true though is to retire with less than 10 years as an officer requires secretary approval, and it’s only waiveable down to 8 years.

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
Calling all Chiefs/SFC/Gunny's/MSgt types. I'm thinking about throwing a package in for OCS and if get picked up staying Navy for the long haul.

With all that said looking for some insight into what it's like for a Navy Chief going through OCS as a candidate. Appreciate the insight ahead of time while I make the decision.
Just play the game. I went as a gunny with about 18 months TIG. My DI picked up 1 month before I showed up. The class team found out during battle stations. I just reverted to recruit mode and helped out the others as much as I could. Your advice and insight will be valuable to everyone.