• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going in with zero flight time

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmc

Don’t laugh at me but I’ve only every been in a plane one time. I believe it was a 737 (coach class).

How do you guys get flight time before entering the armed forces? Do you guys come from rich families or something because lessons around here run around $180 for an hour! I’ve checked it and this is true. Is it just my county airport or are all places this expensive? I asked the guy if this was all air time and he said no! I can see it now…he takes of for me, I jiggle the stick a little, then he lands for me. Boom… first session done. These aren’t real modern planes either. It amazes me how some these crop dusters even survive takeoff.

I know what some of you are going to say; at least you’re getting your feet wet. I’m just saying that $180 is a lot. That’s feeds me for 2 or 3 months in college.

Is there some plan/coupon/discount/procedure I don’t know about? Did you all work on your pilot’s license in college or did you just go in with zero flight time…ahem…probably what I’m looking at?
boggled_125.gif

I just don’t see myself spending all this money on flight lessons when money is so tight for college right now.

jaerose

That's why they now have Introductory Flight Screening, which is before API. You'll get 25 hours of civilian instruction prior to API...so your feet will be wet. Also, I have no prior time and I'm not worried. Trust me, you won't be alone in having little to no time, so if you cannot afford it then don't sweat it.

JR

savingthisone

batman_125.gif
Agreed. Do not get yourself in debt getting flight time. You will do just fine, with a whole lot of hard work and desire.

Around here, CFI's get from $18 to $50 and hour and airplanes go for (wet):

C152 - $42 -
C172 - $60
T41 - $53 (Drated)
T34B = $72 (Drated)

and up!

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I had 0 flight time and I am doing very well in the program. So, dont go get yourself in a lot of debt just for a couple hours of stick time.

Dave

jaerose

Dave,

Didn't I read that you were selected for jets? What platform, exactly? Congrats! Any advice for us future jet hopefuls (although I know much of it is luck/needs of navy these days)?

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.