• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GLOCK vs SIG -- trigger time.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... It may be to light for most people....
But I will say that I've fired several thousand rounds....
Fair enough on the DA making hay over a light trigger pull with the possible exception of a couple of things. There are aftermarket triggers made by others but mine is a factory drop in trigger made by Glock. It's not a modification like a trigger job for a 1911. It doesn't void the warrenty.

Nobody in their right mind ever wants to argue any of this in court so that should be the bottom line I guess...

Yeah ... but you're not 'most people' when it comes to firearms ... :) My comments were more directed @ the grey mass ... they guys we call ... 'most'. :)

But the DA stuff is true, all too true in many civilian shootings ... no one wants to go there if they don't 'need' to ...

For me: any/all of my 'carry' pieces are box-stock. Makes me a better shooter, in the long run.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot

I like DA/SA on some pistols -- depends upon the grip 'girth' (how 'reachable' is the trigger on that first pull ???), but then I always like a smooth single-action trigger ... as always, whatever you end up using/liking ... it takes practice, practice, and more practice ...

How's about Sig's DAK setup?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
But the DA stuff is true, all too true in many civilian shootings ... no one wants to go there if they don't 'need' to ...

For me: any/all of my 'carry' pieces are box-stock. Makes me a better shooter, in the long run.

Yea I agree that stock weapons are best for self defense for legal and also reliability reasons. That's exactly why my AR's have stock triggers. (RRA triggers) I always told myself that a drop in factory part wouldn't cause me a legal problem. I might revisit that as it may or may not be true.

What I do know is that I need to spend less money on guns and more money on ammo so I can practice more.

I've never shot the DAK Sig, just the traditional DA/SA models but I think that I would shoot it better than DA/SA model. Mostly because it is consistant for every shot. Well consistant with a twist. IIRC is has two different re-set points. After firing a round if you stop the trigger at the first re-set you get a shorter but heavier pull on the next shot and if you stop it at the second re-set you get a longer but lighter pull. Or maybe the other way around.

That sounds like a great idea for people who shoot a lot but I'm not sure the average pistol shooter would benefit from it. I don't know that most people understand how (or shoot enough) to take advantage of the reset point. It might not matter because all you'd have to do is let it come back out all the way every time and then you get the longer but lighter pull every time.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I dunno ... haven't used it -- just did a lot of reading/stupid study on it when I was pondering HK's LEM trigger or the SIG DAK ....

Besides ... "DAK" sounded too much like:

Deutsches Afrikakorps

:D:D:D:D

So I got the 'LEM' ... sounds more like a guy next door.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I dunno ... haven't used it -- just did a lot of reading/stupid study on it when I was pondering HK's LEM trigger or the SIG DAK ....

Besides ... "DAK" sounded too much like:

Deutsches Afrikakorps

:D:D:D:D

So I got the 'LEM' ... sounds more like a guy next door.

So in that case I'll definitely be purchasing a DAK P226... in support of my distant relatives :eek:

And I always thought DAK = Luke Skywalker's rear gunner

800px-Dak-hd.jpg

I'm not even a Star Wars nerd. I swear!

In my very limited experience, I dislike DA/SA triggers. I'd rather have a safety'd 1911 or a DAK/LEM

They eventually figured out that the guy managed to shoot himself twice from the hair trigger and the recoil. Almost like an accidental bump-fire.

Isn't it kinda wink wink nudge nudge type joke when its said that someone commits suicide by shooting themselves multiple times in the head? Like... communist dissident shoots self in head... twice. Secret Police find body 2 hours later? I didn't know such a think had ever been done.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The DAK and LEM are both attempts to mirror some aspects of a striker-fired system like the Glock with a hammer-fired pin - i.e. a consistent and lighter trigger pull. I've shot the Sig DA/SA extensively, thought I liked the DAK but now realize its limitations and am trading it in for a LEM. I've only shot a few boxes through XD's and Glocks, enough to know I can't stand the creepy pull.

DAK - a DAO with a long smooth 6.5# trigger pull. Resets at about half length for a 8.5# pull (accidental byproduct of the second-strike capability), and at full length for the default 6.5# pull. It uses leverage to produce the lighter pull, so the length of the pull is a necessary consequence of lightening the trigger. It is very similar to a revolver-style DAO pull and revolver shooters seem to like it a lot. The long pull breaks very cleanly, so you're less likely to anticipate the shot. But the long reset limits fast shooting. I bought the DAK thinking I'd improve my controlled pairs due to the consistent trigger pull, but I actually find them easier with a DA/SA. I can train to the DA/SA but I can't train around a long reset - I can't push the trigger back forward any faster. Todd Green and several other instructors involved with the DAK recommend not using the short reset at all and I believe that's the way they teach it at Sig Academy.

LEM - more akin to a single-action or striker fired system. There's an internal portion of the hammer that is cocked by the action of the slide. The trigger merely cocks the hammer the rest of the way. The first pull is long and light, but the main difference is that the reset is short (about 1/3rd travel) but has the same weight as the first pull. Depending on the version, this is anywhere from 4-7 lbs. Moreover, there is the option of a heavier reset spring to more rapidly reset the trigger and allow for a followup shot.

I've not yet shot the LEM but at least on paper it looks like a superior solution and I'm looking forward to giving it a try - if I can find a P30 LEM for a decent price.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
So after a disappointing encounter with Jay's on Friday afternoon I hit up the gun show Saturday morning. After looking around and noting each booth's inventory I decided to get my Sig priced. The first place was only going to offer me $400 which is half of what I paid for it and what Jay's wanted to offer me. I went to my 2nd choice booth and the guy there was much nicer. He had exactly what I wanted (Glock 23) and was willing to give me his sale price minus $75 for my Sig. The Glock was $499 and with tax I walked away with a brand new Glock 23 and $85. It was a good day....

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Nice! Now go out and buy the cheapest ammo you can find, because she will eat it up without a second thought.