• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GI Bill proposed changes

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
http://www.militarytimes.com/story/.../06/01/ndaa-senate-gibill-transfers/28076653/

If you are over 6 years and know you are going to at least 10 years, you better "transfer" your benefits sooner, rather than later. When you transfer them, you can always revoke the transfer of your benefits. But if you don't apply for transferring the benefits and listing your beneficiaries, you may not be able to do it until you are at your 10 year point and agree to extend for two more years.

There was another key proposal change as well, which would remove the housing allowance paid to the individual going to college, for active duty dependents. The reasoning behind this, is that the service member is already receiving BAH.

I can see their point, when considering spouses going to college while living with the active duty member, however, the point seems invalid for the children of active duty members. Some dependents might be living at home with mom and pop, but that isn't always an option, depending on where they are stationed, what schools they can get into, availability of a major, etc.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I can see their point, when considering spouses going to college while living with the active duty member, however, the point seems invalid for the children of active duty members. Some dependents might be living at home with mom and pop, but that isn't always an option, depending on where they are stationed, what schools they can get into, availability of a major, etc.
I'm not in favor of the change by any means, but this is no different than FAFSA treating anyone under the age of 26 as a financial dependant of their parents.

Uncle Sam expects you to foot the bill for your child's higher education, regardless of what your personal beliefs on that is.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the heads up!

While the changes are disappointing I am not too surprised, it is a very generous program with a big bill that seems ripe for cutting to some and the proposals don't directly affect the benefits to the veterans themselves.

...Uncle Sam expects you to foot the bill for your child's higher education, regardless of what your personal beliefs on that is.

Maybe, maybe not. Some recent and not so recent changes to federal student loans have made repayment and forgiveness a lot easier as spelled out in this article.