• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GI Bill for ATP

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I'm doing my due diligence on the VA's website, but was wondering if there was any gouge out there on using your GI Bill for an ATP through a program like Delta ATP-CTP. I paid into the Montgomery GI Bill so have both that or the post-9/11 GI Bill as an option. Quick search turned up no results, only stuff I could find elsewhere was from 2015.

Thanks.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
If you use the Post-9/11 GI Bill
Your payment depends on 3 factors:
  • Your level of eligibility (you’re eligible for a certain percent of benefits up to 100% based on how long you served on active duty after September 10, 2001), and
  • How much entitlement you have left for school or training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, and
  • The program and type of school you’re enrolled in
If you’re enrolled in:
  • A degree program that consists of flight training at a public college or university, we’ll pay for up to the full in-state cost of tuition and fees (depending on your level of eligibility and remaining entitlement). You may also receive a monthly housing allowance and money to help buy books and supplies.
  • A degree program that consists of flight training at a private college or university, we’ll pay for the net cost of tuition and fees up to a yearly limit (depending on your level of eligibility and remaining entitlement). You may also receive a housing allowance and money to help buy books and supplies. You can also apply for additional funds to cover tuition and fees above the yearly limit through the Yellow Ribbon Program.
    Learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program
  • A vocational program at a stand-alone Part 141 pilot school, we’ll pay for the net cost of training up to a yearly limit (depending on your level of eligibility and remaining entitlement). You won’t be eligible for a housing allowance or money to help buy books and supplies.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I'm doing my due diligence on the VA's website, but was wondering if there was any gouge out there on using your GI Bill for an ATP through a program like Delta ATP-CTP. I paid into the Montgomery GI Bill so have both that or the post-9/11 GI Bill as an option. Quick search turned up no results, only stuff I could find elsewhere was from 2015.

Thanks.
Great stuff from @Waveoff. If you can, find a public college with an ATP aviation program, it will save you considerable money.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I agree, @ChuckMK23 . Green with envy for some of these new programs. Some of the deals the last couple of years are awesome- good on folks for taking advantage! Because I was planning to get out fairly quickly after a deployment, I did my ATP-CTP and ATP practical out of pocket, between detachments, during workups.

Up hill both ways. In the snow. Buuuut, I still have my GI bill available for my kids. ;)

Meyerkord

pilot
First heard about this a few months ago. One of my FRS IPs used it to pay for half his multi-engine add-on. Not required for work or anything, just wanted to get it on his own time, and COOL paid for it. Seems like a hidden gem.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Not to thread jack - but a number of flight schools are advertising "bypass the regionals with our program" - funny. What's less funny is young people buying it...

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 11.42.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 11.46.38 AM.png

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Not to thread jack - but a number of flight schools are advertising "bypass the regionals with our program" - funny. What's less funny is young people buying it...

View attachment 34357

View attachment 34358
I called this wrong. I know a Navy Helo HSM dude who just got hired at an LCC flying A320, with excellent preparation and motivation, and only Navy primary fixed wing time + Navy Helo time + ATP AMEL mins and fresh ATP AMEL gained in a piston twin. So things are shifting greatly. ??????

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If you have no kids or spouse who could benefit from GI Bill when you separate, AND you have no plans to affiliate in the reserves, OR you do but you have no plans for spouse or kids, AND you don't think you'd ever want an advanced degree, then have at it. Otherwise, I'd suggest saving your money and paying out of pocket. It's like $10k ish, which you will convert to a much bigger loss of benefit if you use GIB. Just my $.02.

a_dub

"flank" speed

View attachment 34357
I called this wrong. I know a Navy Helo HSM dude who just got hired at an LCC flying A320, with excellent preparation and motivation, and only Navy primary fixed wing time + Navy Helo time + ATP AMEL mins and fresh ATP AMEL gained in a piston twin. So things are shifting greatly. ??????
No kidding.....I'm at F9 and in my new hire class 8 months ago we had 2 from ATP, CFIs with1500 hours, all piston, although they were required to go get ATPs and the 320 type prior to ground school ($15k or so)....Sure, its only about 3-4 selected per month, so it is competitive but an opportunity...although, until last month that could have been 10% of the class when we had classes of 40, now with 60 per month not sure what the ratio is, but the recruiting team loves to post the kids from these programs.

number9

Contributor
Can the Montgomery GI bill be used for anything? I'm hoping to embark on my PPL soon (out of my own pocket) but would love to hear if there are benefits I can use down the line.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Can the Montgomery GI bill be used for anything? I'm hoping to embark on my PPL soon (out of my own pocket) but would love to hear if there are benefits I can use down the line.
Almost anything. The training/education is expected to lead to gainful employment. So, ski lessons…no. Advancing toward a professional flying career…yes.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Thanks.
Depending on your background ATP-CTP with ATP written complete is all you’ll need to get hired by Delta.