• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting to API

Status
Not open for further replies.

bar1

A few questions for those already Naval Aviators or SNA's:
1. What are the REAL requirements to get picked up for the Navy's flight program. I know the official requirements according to the Navy's recruiting website and my ship's career counselor are to have a college degree and be a naval officer, just like the official requirements to go to Harvard is a 1200 on the SAT and "good grades". What do I need to bring to the party to be a guarentee?

2. It'll be about another three years before I put in a comissioning package (I have to finish my current enlistment and then my bachelors degree), but I'm trying to study up now so if/when I make it to API and primary it'll go easier. What are the textbooks currently being used at both stages of training?

3. and lastly, based off of upcoming retirements, how do the quota outlooks/demands for new aviators look over the next few years. I know over the next two to three years a there will be a lot of first classes and chiefs retiring as they hit the 20yr mark, and I'm wonder how things look on the officer side of the house, specifically in the aviation community.

Anyways, sorry to make this so long, and I appreciate any and all replies. Thank you, and good luck to all you in the fleet.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by bar11. What do I need to bring to the party to be a guarentee?
Easy. Graduate first in your class at the U.S. Naval Academy. All others compete. No guarantees.

Originally posted by bar12. I'm trying to study up now so if/when I make it to API and primary it'll go easier.
Don't. Even if you were sure that the current pubs will still be used when/if you start API, your time now is better spent working on getting good evaluations and good grades in college. Academics at API and flight school are designed for someone who has never seen an airplane.

Originally posted by bar13. how do the quota outlooks/demands for new aviators look over the next few years.
No one on this forum can answer this question. Poke around the BUPERS web site and you might find some stray PowerPoints about officer manning. If you do, they won't be that useful anyway. Regardless of what the current manpower situation is, there will always be some guys that make it, and some that get turned away. Bottom line - put together the best package you can and see what happens. Good luck!!

<<Aimee says I WANNA KNOW IN ENGLISH (NO NAUTICAL TERMS) HOW TO LACE MY SHOES>>

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No one on this site is going to be able to answer those questions. There aren't any "secret" numbers, or sure fire package that will get you selected, either for that first hurdle of a commission or the second one for selection into the pilot training pipeline. There are a bunch of mustangs on this site, and each of us has taken (or is tyring to get through) a different route to wear the Wings Of Gold. It took me multiple tries at different commissioning program, the original Seaman to Admiral, NROTC Scholarship and the Enlisted Commissioning Program. Finally I made it through ECP. I took each hurdle seperately, and set my goals to conquer each.

It sounds like you are well on your way to deciding what your goals are, and then gathering as much information to make those same goals a reality. That, in and of itself will set you ahead of the pack, but as GM235 said, if you reach too far ahead, and don't excel in what will get you onto the first rung of the ladder, well, you just might not get there.

The pubs will change, the manning requirements will differ, and anyone who tells you otherwise is blowing smoke up you ass...

Also, why do you have to wait for three years till your enlistment is up to put in a commissioning package?!?! There are MANY different commissioning programs out there that cover the full spectrum of time in, from applying for a NROTC scholarship, putting in for an Academy spot (or NAPS), STA2001, and is BOOST still around?? There isn't ANY requirement for you to do your full first tour before putting in a commissioning package, if you get selected the command looks great, and you know what, they will get a fresh warm body from out of A school to replace you. Just a thought.

The end result, do the best you can, tackle any extra responsibilities or quals you can take on in the Fleet, work for those good marks on the evals, get the best grades you can manage, and if you go NROTC or Academy perform well in the battallion and get noticed, the CO's recommendation during service selection NEVER hurts.

In the end, as GM said, put that package in!! You won't ever know what will happen if you don't do it!! I am constantly amazed by the comments on this forum, "oh, selection is closed for the next three years". "I dont have any flight time, they'll never select me", or the ever popular "oh those prior enlisted always get selected over the OCS guys"... It's all bull****, put the package in, lay it on the line and go for it! We have enough people on here that have put packages in, and been hit between the eyes with a "no", and they keep on going! Those are the people I want serving with me, that want to be here where I am at, and I sincerely hope that you will do the same...

Ok, enough soap box, best of luck...

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Concur with all.
Originally posted by webmasteris BOOST still around??
If I understand LadyJayUSN correctly, BOOST is no longer an option. Maybe she can respond to verify. My understanding is that all commissioning programs which involved sending enlisted folks to school were rolled together into STA-21 a year or so ago.
Originally posted by webmasterthey will get a fresh warm body from out of A school to replace you.
Well... Some are warmer than others...
icon_smile_wink.gif

<<Aimee says I WANNA KNOW IN ENGLISH (NO NAUTICAL TERMS) HOW TO LACE MY SHOES>>

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by Grandmaster235
Well... Some are warmer than others...
icon_smile_wink.gif
LOL, ok, and I didn't say anthing about the competence of the replacement either. For all the benefit of promoting from the ranks, you end up sending your best and brightest out of the command, and you end up getting a knucklehead loser in to replace him (well not always), but the guy who replace my spot on the boat ended up getting caught for a fraudulent enlistement! DOH!

LadyJayUSN

Origionally quoted by GM:If I understand LadyJayUSN correctly, BOOST is no longer an option. Maybe she can respond to verify. My understanding is that all commissioning programs which involved sending enlisted folks to school were rolled together into STA-21 a year or so ago.

Yes, GM, you are absolutely correct. 'BOOST' is no longer a commissioning program, but it does exist.

For all those interested parties, this is some info on STA-21. See, the Navy decided it would be more efficient if it rolled all of its enlisted commissioning programs into one-combining everything from the application process to the funding. There aren't any harsh time-in-serive requirements like there used to be, you don't have to be an E-4 eligible for the E-5 exam, and there are no longer any prior college education requirements. If you are picked up for the program, you are sent either directly to NSI (if you've already achieved a certain level of credit hours) the summer before your first semester in school. Or (if you've never spent a day in a classroom) you are sent to Newport, RI to the old 'BOOST' for either 9,6, or 3 months of catch up in Physics, English, and Calculus. 'BOOST' is accredited and transfers to all NROTC affiliated universities. You complete NSI the summer between 'BOOST' and your first semester of college. NSI includes all of the courses you miss as an NROTC student such as Navigation, Engineering, Weapons Systems, and Seapower into an intense 8 week session. From there you report to an NROTC affiliated college or university. As an OC, you are awarded a $10,000 tution/fees stipened ($4000 fall, $4000 spring, and $2000 summer). The one and only catch is that you are required to complete your degree in 36 months (for engineers this is really hard and none of the OC's in my unit have been able to fit it in) and you can't use your GI bill. You get more than enough money for school if you choose your school wisely, so that just means you can save your GI Bill for your masters.
dunce_125.gif

<I SWIM 'CAUSE I'M TOO DAMNED SEXY FOR SPORTS THAT REQUIRE CLOTHING>

Status
Not open for further replies.