• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting stuff down to Pensacola

eddieoctane

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but this seemed the most relevant place.

I've tried asking around people I know how to go about getting some of my stuff down to Pensacola for API, but haven't really gotten a straight answer. I understand getting a place at the Gateway Inn until I can find somewhere off base. But I can't seem to get much information on bringing some of my stuff down (TV, bed, small dresser) once I find somewhere more permanent.

What's the best way to go about that? It's about a 12 hour drive from my house to Pensacola. If need be, I could fly home on a Friday, load up a small U-haul and be back in town Saturday or Sunday. Is that the best way to go about it?

I know that I don't get paid for a move until I get PCS orders for Primary, but I know I'm going to need a bit more to live on besides what I can stuff in the trunk of my car. A sea-bag and a suitcase seem kind of limited. So how should I go about bringing some more stuff down (not everything, obviously) to Pensacola? Any recommendations? Or am I just over-thinking all of this?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
What kind of car do you have? If it's got a trailer hitch, you could get a U-Haul cargo box for like 30 bucks a day, assuming you can fit all your stuff in there. You could also get a U-Haul truck and tow your car on a trailer behind it, that's what a few guys did from Pcola here to Corpus. There's also PODS, but I have no idea how that works. Regardless, there's gotta be an easier way than driving down, flying back and driving a U-Haul back down.

eddieoctane

The problem is that I don't have a place to stay yet, which means spending at least a few days on base. I have no issue staying on base (Gateway, Navy Lodge, whatever), but i would have no ability to store anything. I drive a Sebring, so I can't tow anything with that. Do you think it'd be cool to leave the U-Haul truck at whatever hotel I'm at while I take my car to check out places to live? If I bring crap down with me ahead of time, i will either need a storage locker or have to keep the truck for at least a few days.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Not sure, you might wanna call the Gateway or Lodge there to ask if they have any problem with you parking a truck there. Otherwise, something like PODS or Pack Rat may be your best bet, they can hang on to your stuff while you look for a place.

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
A lot of timea if you rent a one way truck, you can get a month free or discounted storage unit. Either way a small unit for a month will be pretty cheap. I've gone that route before. Keeping the truck will probably be extremely expensive. Call uhaul 800 number and see what they will do. Call the local uhaul (I reccomend the one right off i10 in pcola) first,, they may be able to hook you up better. Either way explain the sit to them.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
Why not just road trip down for a few days before you move down and find a place to rent, shouldn't take more than a day or so to find a suitable apt/condo. Then leave your car, fly back and rent a uhaul to bring your junk back, or rent a uhaul with a car carrier to tow the sebring when you move. No storage unit or extended uhaul contract needed.

It's not like your looking for your retirement house, it's basically a crash pad that you use to sleep, eat, study and store beer in while going through primary.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
"The Sebring is cool! The Sebring is so cool! Please don't fire me Michael, I'll do anything!"

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
"The Sebring is cool! The Sebring is so cool! Please don't fire me Michael, I'll do anything!"
post-11756-I-Understood-That-Reference-gi-PzDh.gif

EDIT: Back to OP, second what was said about how it shouldn't take long to find a place. Drive up to Ferry Pass and look at some of those places: Governor's Gate, Kings Mill, Crestview, and the like. There's a bunch up there, they're all pretty nice, gated communities with good amenities, and right by I-10 and I-110 which makes commuting easy. Plus if your next stop is Whiting, you don't have to move again.