• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting PRK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys
I am getting PRK done this summer but will not finish school till late 2006. What is the process when you apply for a pilot slot and have had the sugery done already. What does the Navy require as far as paper work. what are the steps.
Thanks Shannon

nugget81

pilot
The process may vary according to how you are applying for a pilot slot. If you apply for BDCP you must wait at least 6 months after the surgery to apply. With other routes I am not aware of the process. As for paperwork, the Navy will want to see all pre-surgery documents (eye maps, vision tests, etc) and post-surgery documents (again with the eye maps and vision tests). Basically, your PRK surgeon should be able to provide you a copy of your full file and you'd give that to the necessary Navy people. Good Luck!!

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
I am applying for OCS to be a pilot, and my recruiter confirmed that OCS candidates must wait 3 months after the surgery to apply for the waiver. I have been told by a pilot that just finished primary flight training (and had PRK done) that it is better to get the waiver before being accepted. He went to NAS Pensacola to get his waiver. I will be going through the waiver process within a month and will post when I know more if you'd like.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Yeah, definitely get the surgery done BEFORE you come down to Pcola. I am trying to get it done now and I will have to wait until I am pretty much done with my first fleet squadron to get it.

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
don't quote me on this, but i believe AF standards pre-op are something a max refraction error of -5 diopters. I don't know about Navy, but it might be similar. I was -2.5/-2.75 (20/400 both eyes) and am eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.