• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

getting married and going through flight school

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Also with regards to location don't get too comfortable with your wishlist until it is final. My wife and I were newlyweds when I got to Pensacola and all of the previous gouge told me that married guys are a lock to stay at Whiting for primary so I put it #1 on my wishlist. I ended up going to Vance for primary and Corpus for advanced. We ended up having fun at each place but the point is, make sure your wife/fiance knows that everything is up in the air until you actually get orders and everything is based on the needs of the Navy/Marine Corps.

I've heard a bunch of married mafia folks think they cannot be sent to Vance. I don't get where that shit comes from...

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I've heard a bunch of married mafia folks think they cannot be sent to Vance. I don't get where that shit comes from...

LOL are you like Zack Morris of A-pool? You always seem to have the inside track on information there.

Santi87

Thanks for the responses guys, really appreciate it -- she's very understanding of not knowing what the timetable looks like exactly, where I'll be stationed, that it's all dependent on what airframe I select, needs of the service, etc. She's willing to be flexible with living arrangements and her career, knowing that what I'm getting into will supercede any other priorities, but by no means be incompatible. Again, she grew up with it and is getting a lot of great advice from her family (all former/current Marine Corps). Nobody said it was going to be easy, but if we're right for each other (God willing) it'll be worth it.

Thanks again

~C

Lucy

First of all, congratulations!

I am unsure for the military, but I got married last year while I was going through a security clearance (7 year with FBI) for a government job, and outside of them checking into my husbands history, all I had to do was provide a copy of his BC, our MC, and SSN's. Also, I was unable to change my name until after the investigation was complete. I believe unless she is foreign born, non-national, felon, or other "skeletons" in the closet, that it won't matter each way. I would check with your OR though, or perhaps your OP who is likely to have more detailed information.

Best of Luck with everything,
Lucy

rare21

pilot
Contributor
I would not have made it through flight school without my wife's help thats for sure and we are now married 7 years plus. When I was contemplating marrying her I talked to a Lieutenant Commander that I flew with at VT-27. He told me a story of a couple that wanted to get married but didnt know if they should. He said after discussion they decided to tie the knot at the courthouse then have a big wedding later. During a leave period they got into a horrible car accident and the wife needed major brain surgery. If they had not have gotten married through the courthouse it would have been out of pocket for the SNA since the wife had no job. I was sold. And to tell the truth Tricare has saved my freaking butt tons while in the Navy...and even as a retired man. I feel for those that dont have the greatest health care in the country. To this date me and my wife have still not had the "real" wedding. It kind of seems not important anymore.

srqwho

pilot
To echo rare21, Tricare is awesome. I got married 5 days after OCS and reported to Pcola after our honeymoon. A few months after I commissioned my wife had some pain in her abdomen and they found a potential malignancy on an MRI (CT scan... etc). We have had to go to MD Anderson Cancer Center multiple times and we keep getting invoices for 0$ in the mail. She has surgery next month and that's on Tricare too. Note: the squadrons are great about allowing you to take care of these things as well... we are super grateful for that too.

Yeah... it's tough at times being married in flight school. Especially when it comes to your spouse's job. My wife is an attorney and is licensed in FL. All the gouge about married guys staying in FL for Primary didn't apply to us, and being a licensed atty in FL doesn't mean much in TX.

Like others have said, the JOP wedding is nice is you are sure you want to marry the girl, and you're sure she's sure about the military lifestyle. Use the extra money you make and honeymoon in Corpus... it's beautiful down here... kind of reminds me of Hawaii sans the trees, scenery, nice beaches, and selection of things to do.