• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Getting into OCS with a 3 on DD 785

bmoney2179

TL;DR How does a 3 on my DD 785 (after voluntary disenrollment from AFROTC) affect my chances with OCS with another branch/how should I proceed when applying?

About 2.5 years ago I voluntarily disenrolled from AFROTC. I was in the program 2 semesters only, but contracted after the 1st semester and decided I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life in the 2nd semester so I disenrolled. PT scores and grades were/are great. My DD 785 rating was a "3", which says "Should Not Be Considered Without Weighing the "Needs of the Service" Against the Reasons for Disenrollment", and seems to be a pretty typical rating for contracted cadets who voluntarily disenroll. It was a dumb decision looking back, but honestly I just didn't know what I wanted out of life.

I have been told this will really hurt my chances with the AF thanks to serviceacademyforums, and it makes sense. I want to ask how the 3 rating might affect me for applying to the Navy/Marines/Army? Do I even mention it? The Navy and Army officer recruiters I spoke with do not seem to think it will, but they also said they don't really know and haven't encountered it yet.

Thanks guys

exNavyOffRec

TL;DR How does a 3 on my DD 785 (after voluntary disenrollment from AFROTC) affect my chances with OCS with another branch/how should I proceed when applying?

About 2.5 years ago I voluntarily disenrolled from AFROTC. I was in the program 2 semesters only, but contracted after the 1st semester and decided I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life in the 2nd semester so I disenrolled. PT scores and grades were/are great. My DD 785 rating was a "3", which says "Should Not Be Considered Without Weighing the "Needs of the Service" Against the Reasons for Disenrollment", and seems to be a pretty typical rating for contracted cadets who voluntarily disenroll. It was a dumb decision looking back, but honestly I just didn't know what I wanted out of life.

I have been told this will really hurt my chances with the AF thanks to serviceacademyforums, and it makes sense. I want to ask how the 3 rating might affect me for applying to the Navy/Marines/Army? Do I even mention it? The Navy and Army officer recruiters I spoke with do not seem to think it will, but they also said they don't really know and haven't encountered it yet.

Thanks guys

It is possible, we got an Army guy in that was a drop from ROTC, as long as it wasn't something bad.

You would need to do a few interviews and get a waiver, how is your GPA and what about your degree?

bmoney2179

It is possible, we got an Army guy in that was a drop from ROTC, as long as it wasn't something bad.

You would need to do a few interviews and get a waiver, how is your GPA and what about your degree?

Yeah I didn't do anything bad, it was purely a voluntary thing. My PT score was 98 (maxed out on everything but the run). My GPA is 3.95 in geospatial science, graduating in a year

bmoney2179

What do you want to do?

I am looking into being a pilot. First and foremost I want to be an officer and I really wouldn't mind doing other jobs, but the navy recruiter emphasized picking like 1 thing and applying for it, so if I could pick one thing it would be pilot

exNavyOffRec

I am looking into being a pilot. First and foremost I want to be an officer and I really wouldn't mind doing other jobs, but the navy recruiter emphasized picking like 1 thing and applying for it, so if I could pick one thing it would be pilot
if you do good on the ASTB you should be fine, just explain what happened.

FreshyyP

Thanks guys
you should be fine, i know a person who had the exact same situation and still got approved for OCS. In Fact the DD-785 never even came up. As long as you didn't get dis enrolled for anything Criminal, medical, drugs, or morally wrong you will be fine.

villo0692

I feel like the air force wouldn't pick even with a clean sheet, idk how anyone commissions in the air force anyways

bmoney2179

you should be fine, i know a person who had the exact same situation and still got approved for OCS. In Fact the DD-785 never even came up. As long as you didn't get dis enrolled for anything Criminal, medical, drugs, or morally wrong you will be fine.
Okay that is actually really comforting to hear. Thanks for the response!