• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gerd waiver

UF_ME

I have been diagnosed with GERD. My symptoms are completely controlled with a daily perscription medication. From what I understand this is disqualifying base on Army Regulation 40-501. I am considering having GERD correction surgery so that I can join the Navy, even though my doctor thinks i'm crazy to have surgery to correct a condition that is controlled with medication.

From everything that I have read on AW it is very possible to get a waiver for GERD once you are active duty for NAs & NFOs. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of getting a waiver for GERD after getting DQ at MEPS?

yakboyslim

None
I got a medical waiver for GERD. But mine was on the basis that I never actually had GERD. My doctor prescribed Nexium for something else (Nexium apparently throws a flag for GERD at MEPS) and I only took Nexium for 7 days before tests showed negative for what my doctor thought he was treating. I stopped taking it right then. I was able to show all of that so I got my waiver.

I know waivers are at least possible for normal GERD because my recruiter told me to get all the info I could find together for a waiver before he knew the special circumstances of my case. The Navy wanted records of how long I had been off meds, so you may have trouble still being on the meds. (I don't know that though)

Be careful with the surgery, that might be even harder to waive.

Your OR should be able to help you here, mine was.

NA29697

I was disqualified for flight because of GERD/Schiatzki ring.
I had had my esophagus dilated by the Navy and had to wait 1 year and be asymptomatic of GERD/Schiatzki ring to qualify for a waiver. The Navy also had some docs take a look to make sure the ring was gone.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I think your doctor is right. No need to have surgery. Read the waiver guide posted at the top of this forum section.

It will reveal this about medication controlled GERD.

A. Symptomatic GERD currently requiring medication is CD.
B. Waiver may be requested if symptoms controlled on stable dose of medication.

BTW, do not screw around with your meds; take them as directed....google Barrett's esophagus.

UF_ME

You are right about Barrett's..it is nothing to play around with!! Luckily my endoscopy showed no sign of it.

Does the Navy use that waiver guide for all medical waivers (including entrance) or only waivers required for flight or flight related fields?

Thanks for your help

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
2 comments:
(a) Damn, a guy can't have frequent heartburn & still fly?
(b) Back in the day, lots of NFOs needed a NERD waiver - probably still true