• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gate guard shenanigans and boomer Black Sea cruises

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I have been searched once at my local base. An MP at NS Mayport attempted to search my Jeep in the late 80s until he realized the very protective dog in my soft topped Jeep was MUCH larger than his K9. "Uhhhh, you're good to go sir." That's twice in the 39 years I have been driving onto military bases.

VMO4

My reference from the mid 1980's, never got asked about a weapon when coming back on base, but had to drive S turns through orange cones often, flavor of the month is always changing. I do remember watch standers carrying sidearms, but we were enlisted Marine, (gun club), and it stopped after somebody "lost" their sidearm during their watch.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
My reference from the mid 1980's, never got asked about a weapon when coming back on base, but had to drive S turns through orange cones often, flavor of the month is always changing. I do remember watch standers carrying sidearms, but we were enlisted Marine, (gun club), and it stopped after somebody "lost" their sidearm during their watch.
And these watch standers carried 1911's with slides "sealed" with lead wire, no magazine in weapon.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
O1-O4...then CW2-CW4. Nope, not an Admiral or General. But that 39 years started when I was 16. I grew up a Navy brat before serving and have been driving on base since.

Damn, that's a hell of a career. I knew that was the case with you, but I guess did not process the details. So basically 33 years active ish? Fucking cool. Not that I am really interested in long careers.......admirals make me want to choke myself out, but people who really lived it for a long time and didn't sell their soul.....much respect.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
O1-O4...then CW2-CW4. Nope, not an Admiral or General. But that 39 years started when I was 16. I grew up a Navy brat
What the hell were you doing in the Black Sea? Just don't tell me you were aboard CG48 in 1988... This was damn pretty cool!

Last edited:

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
What the hell were you doing in the Black Sea? Just don't tell me you were aboard CG48 in 1988... This was damn pretty cool!
Who said I was in the Black Sea?

Damn, that's a hell of a career. I knew that was the case with you, but I guess did not process the details. So basically 33 years active ish? Fucking cool. Not that I am really interested in long careers.......admirals make me want to choke myself out, but people who really lived it for a long time and didn't sell their soul.....much respect.
FWIW...only 26 years, because I had a break in service. And, like most on this forum, it all started at the API building at NAS Pensacola.

Last edited:

Notanaviator

Contributor
Who said I was in the Black Sea?

Ah... on that, Rob, don't forget that when the GRU moved to the new building across the way from the old one back in 06, there was that incident where one of the vans moving the US personnel archives got sideswiped by a vodka truck on Khoroshevskoye Shosse... big mess, not a lot of care put into making sure files got unshuffled, and ever since then they occasionally get their rapport-building references jumbled. Classic Ivan! Happy Tuesday Max!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Alright, I'll admit. I may have actually been in the Black Sea. Different year and different cruiser. But close.View attachment 23920
Yeah, I know. The hat is dusty. What do you expect for being 30 years old?
I think I crossed paths with the USS Gates somewhere in my Navy time...just can’t remember where. Persain Gulf...maybe?