• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

G Forces

Status
Not open for further replies.

PilotCPB

How easy is getting used to high g flight? I've done some civilian aerobatic flying, but never really done much beyond +5/-2 g or so. Just wondered how easy it is to cope with (think through complicated situations, approaches, etc.) and how often SNAs in T-45s get to go over 4 g or so...
Chris

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
G-onset in the T-45 is fairly gentle in my opinion....it doesn't load up nearly as fast as the T-34 (small swept wing vs large straight one essentially). Pulling g's is definitely an acquired skill. Even being out of the cockpit for a while, or being in something like RIs, I lost a lot of my G tolerance. Granted, it only took a flight to come back since my body was used to them. If you've never pulled G's, it will take a little while to come back. In the -45 you get to pull G's quite often. All through fams there are several 4G manuevers, but on your solo, you're limited to 'common sense' for the most part. I've been pulling 6 recently on the tail chase exercises in cruise forms.

The -45 has a g-limit of +7.33 above 5k and 6.5 below it. It's negative limit is essentially -2.3, but you don't often use negative g's except to unload and get some smack back on the jet.

honestly, when I'm the one flying, I never have to hick or really do anything to resist the G's. I think b/c my body knows when they are coming and that I'm doing it or somesuch... no idea. The only time I've had to hick is when I was trunking an ACM flight and we pulled 6.5. Since, I've pulled that and never had to hick, but I've been at the controls.

but remember, g's affect people in different ways, so your mileage may vary.....

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
The flights that seem to cause the most G related issues are when studs are trunking WEP's (bombing) hops. Not being able to control the airplane and at the same time being required to look behind the tail of the aircraft to spot bomb hits, while the IP is pulling G's, has caused more than one stud to "loose focus". It is very disorienting. Couple of the guys on this board can attest to that.

mattwieand

Maybe I'm just lucky, but aside from the fact that it squeezes you diagraphram(sp?) and makes it hard to breathe, the speed-jeans pretty much do all the work. I don't think that I have hicked or even tensed up my legs yet. I haven't been through WEPs or ACM yet, but I have pulled my fair share of Gs (my FAM solo was AWESOME!).

trongod46

pilot
im an air hopefull for 188, and getting ready for flight training ive almost finished my private, i know that it will only help some, i also did a program that was based on emergency procedures, so we did up to 4 cordinated spins, inverted, chandelles, and various manuevors pulling g's to get ready, how much do you you guys getting jets think this will help if any?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
G tolerance is a perishable "skill". I think our advice is to not worry about it. You have a LONG way to go. You'll only be pulling 4.5 max in the T-34, and that's very manageable for most people.

airwinger

pilot
squeeze, you pulled 6 g's in cruise forms wow, you must have some pretty cool IP's. Heck I was lucky to get 4g's during tail chase...maybe coming up with "pipper's on" would have gotten more of a pull from the IP.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The G suit only adds about +1G to your sitting/resting G tolerance. I look at the G-suit as a reminder that "HEY!! You are experiencing G forces, you might wanna do something!" My resting G tolerance in the C-FET (in Lemoore) was something like 4.2 or so....

Consider G training like going to the gym and working out....the more you do, the better you can do them. The less you do, the less capable you'll be. So G-tolerance is a skill that can go away quickly if you don't practice.....that's why we do G warm-ups before any dynamic flight...it's kinda like stretching.
ea6bflyr

mattwieand said:
Maybe I'm just lucky, but aside from the fact that it squeezes you diagraphram(sp?) and makes it hard to breathe, the speed-jeans pretty much do all the work. I don't think that I have hicked or even tensed up my legs yet. I haven't been through WEPs or ACM yet, but I have pulled my fair share of Gs (my FAM solo was AWESOME!).

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ea6bflyr said:
that's why we do G warm-ups before any dynamic flight...it's kinda like stretching.
ea6bflyr

how exactly do you g warm in a prowler? one g to the right, 2 to the left? :icon_tong

I've heard about those awesome 2.5g breaks.

/just cursed myself to the Q's

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Come on! I've done all of 5 G's in a Prowler....The pilot got his a$$ chewed. We were limited to 4.5G's....BUT I have done 6.5 (or so) in a TA-4 and an F-4....So there :icon_tong

But you are correct in stating that the Prowler is not known for it's G prowess.....but instead we run away bravely and let our forward firing ordnance take care of the threat....I'm talking about the 2 F/A-18's on our wing. ;)
ea6bflyr

ps: what would be wrong with flying the 'double ugly'? At least you know for certain that you'll get a transition to Super Prowlers (EA-18G).

squeeze said:
how exactly do you g warm in a prowler? one g to the right, 2 to the left? :icon_tong

I've heard about those awesome 2.5g breaks.

/just cursed myself to the Q's

petescheu

the best part is contorting your body at 6-7 Gs in ACM will trying to keep your eyes on the dude you're trying to shoot... i have no idea how some of those IPs do it. good times...

Status
Not open for further replies.