• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY06 STA21 experiences

sb2203

ok guys, I am an undesignated airman on the uss wasp in norfolk,va. I need to know exactly the first thing I should work on for the sta-21 package. Sounds to me the package in itself is an accomplishment. Thats ok, my goal is aviation, and I will get it. I am 20 years old, (21 in oct.) That is not a late start is it? I have a lot of community service under my belt, I just was not the best in high school. I dont have much college, I mean I do, but i dont think its transferable. I need help with this guys!, I am willing to do the work !!!

AA Burk

SAR522

sb2203,
First and foremost check the STA-21 website and read the OPNAVINST 1420 CH 8. This will guide you along the way and tell you all of the requirements for the specific program options. You just missed the July 1st deadline so you'll have plenty of time to put together a strong package for FY07.

OK, after you read the entire CH 8 of the OPNAVINST 1420, then begin to study for the SAT or ACT. Take this as soon as possible to see what you score and where you stand. You may take these tests as many times as you like and you can also submit your highest scores. The Navy College office on NOB administers these tests about once a month. Remember, scores take about 4-6 week to receive.

Since you're interested in aviation you must submit Aviation Selection Test Battery (ASTB) scores with your package. Next, begin to study for this test. There is plenty of info. on this website, but you may want to buy the Military Flight Aptitude Test by ARCO at a local bookstore. You can contact a Navy Officer Recruiter to make an appointment to take this exam. Be careful with this test because you may only take it 3 times in your entire life, and you must meet the minimum scores to qualify.

Last but not least, earn as much college credit as possible. The Navy College Office offers free CLEP and Dantes testing. This is actual college credits and most colleges accept them. Also, enroll in some math courses at Tidewater Community College. Two semesters of Calculus are required for STA-21. From what I understand, the more math credits you have completed, the better your chances are for selection. Try and finish at least one semester of Calculus by next year. Depending on your current math skills, this may or may not be possible, but at least try to finish pre-calc and trig.

This all may sound overwhelming, but you have almost a full year to complete a strong package. The sooner you start the better. Also, run a request chit via your chain of command to let them know what your career goals and intentions are. Let your chief and DIVO know that you are interested in this program as soon as possible. You must have a recommendation from your CO to even be considered, so make sure your chain of command supports you in your endeavor. The best way to earn their support is to volunteer for extra and collateral duties and to stay out of trouble. As a young airman you may be tempted by your peers, but stay focused on your goal of becoming a Naval Officer. Also, qualify as many watches as possible and earn your ESWS and EAWS.

Stay focused and don't get discouraged. I just submitted my second package so I'm hoping on a positive outcome this year. Remember, it is a competitive program so even if you’re not selected next year apply again the following year. Commitment and superior sustained performance is the key. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help with your package. Good luck to you.

sb2203

I got all the information to get me started on this from you, I truly appreciate that, I am gonna work so damn hard!I am gonna work all I can to get my quals done with quickness and efficiency. So I should go to the Navy college office to get some math help? I am gonna study for that sat/act asap!!..

Thanks so much for your help...

Sam

godsblessing

trying to get started

i am trying to get in the ocs program and i'm not quite sure where to start. i've been in the navy for 1 year and i've completed my B.S. in Health Care Admin. and i am currently working on my MBA in Health Care as well , with 15 months left to go till completiong, can someone please help me. i've gotten the run around from my command on where to start, i've spoke to recruiters and i'm at a lost right now.