• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 15 Application

Seabass1604

New to the site, worked with the originator a few years back inVP-26. Here is a snap shot of my package:
AWO1 (NAC/AW)
6.5 yrs active duty
EP, P, EP, EP, EP (P was first E-6 eval)
ACT- 51 (23 math and 28 english)
ASTB- TBD
36 college credits (6 pending)+16 military
NAMx2, MOSVM, LOC, SOQ
3 O-5 LORs

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Good luck to everyone.

Soup84

Prior AM2, FY-12 Pilot Select, Commissioned Dec 12
Just from the scores, your package looks promising. I'd recommend taking the ACT again and raising your math score. Also, note that the most important parts of your package are your personal statement and CO endorsement. Rock those two documents and you have yourself a solid package.

Grimmetal

In comparison:

YN3 (no warfare and no program at last command to get one unless deployed. Currently working toward Air)
2.5 years AD
MP, P, EP (P = being a shore-based YN graded against qualified/depolyed crew members)
ACT - 47 (25 English, 22 Math) Outdated scores from highschool. SAT test coming up in the next two weeks.
ASTB - Next week
18 credits at end of Spring Semester + 17 credits on JST
1 NAM
2 possible LORs so far (O-4 and CWO3)

Definitely feeling like I have a smaller chance compared to the E-5, E-6 types that have a long history of sustained excellence but I do have leadership roles at every step of my career dating back to Boot camp. Hoping for great test scores and great boards with Airwing/Squadron Officers for NFO option.

weq820

FY16 STA-21 Applicant, Pilot
Hey guys. This is my second application and I think my package will look a little better this year than last:

CTN2(IDW)
2.5 year AD
MP, MP (Frocked), EP
ACT - 56 (26 Math, 30 English)
ASTB - 5/5/5/50 (Debating on whether or not I should retake this year)
60 credits (AA degree)
I have to work on getting LORs. I had 3 last year from some Captains and Commanders I knew through my dad, but I think that probably hurt me more than helped me.
I've taken a couple hours of flight lessons, though I'm not sure they even take that kind of stuff into account.

I'll be trying for the Pilot/Core option this year and hoping for the best. :) Good luck to everyone else.

zarevich

Hey guys. This is my second application and I think my package will look a little better this year than last:

CTN2(IDW)
2.5 year AD
MP, MP (Frocked), EP
ACT - 56 (26 Math, 30 English)
ASTB - 5/5/5/50 (Debating on whether or not I should retake this year)
60 credits (AA degree)
I have to work on getting LORs. I had 3 last year from some Captains and Commanders I knew through my dad, but I think that probably hurt me more than helped me.
I've taken a couple hours of flight lessons, though I'm not sure they even take that kind of stuff into account.

I'll be trying for the Pilot/Core option this year and hoping for the best. :) Good luck to everyone else.

I would say for you to study and take the ASTB again to get better scores, those scores barely qualify you for STA-21. Also what is your GPA for AA degree that you have? Other than that ACT scores look great and try to get as many LORs from prior Captains, teachers as possible.

Good luck!

KayDixo

Hey everyone. This will be my first application. Trying to get this application finished on deployment is proving to be very difficult. I have almost finished my personal statment and CO endorsement but will be unable to take ASTB until I get back. Good luck to all.
AE2(AW)
4.5 years AD
EP,MP,EP,EP(frocked)
ACT-25 English, 22 Math
ASTB-TBD
39 Credits
LORS- 1 from past CMC, working on 1 from O-6
Awards- 1 NAM, LOCS, LOAS

AD2

I haven't posted on this site yet but it has a lot of great info so here is what my package is looking like. This is my first time applying.

AD2(AW)
TIS- 3 years
Evals - EP, MP, #1EP, EP, P(new command)
College- AA 3.4 gpa 74 credits (have a degree plan as well)
ASTB- 45 4/6/4 (took ir right after the new test came out and didn't know. I chocked up on this test and hopefully get back from deployment soon enough to retake.)
ACT- Math- 24 English - 21
Awards- NAM, Good Conduct
LOR- 1LT, 1CDR
Applying for pilot

maestro87

I would say for you to study and take the ASTB again to get better scores, those scores barely qualify you for STA-21. Also what is your GPA for AA degree that you have? Other than that ACT scores look great and try to get as many LORs from prior Captains, teachers as possible.

Good luck!

Dont kill yourself over the ASTB, I know atleast 3 sailors who got picked up since FY10 with just the minimum qualifying scores which is a 4/5. I also heard from a pilot who sits the board that they look at ASTB scores as pass/fail so as long as you pass, thats what they take into account. If you have a 9/9 with nothing else in your package, it might not even help. The whole person concept is what counts.

zarevich

Dont kill yourself over the ASTB, I know atleast 3 sailors who got picked up since FY10 with just the minimum qualifying scores which is a 4/5. I also heard from a pilot who sits the board that they look at ASTB scores as pass/fail so as long as you pass, thats what they take into account. If you have a 9/9 with nothing else in your package, it might not even help. The whole person concept is what counts.
That might of been FY10 when they picked 8 pilots a year, nowadays is 3 pilots a year and the new ASTB-E is more aviation type with the joystick, hearing, UAVs, and casualties, which i think will carry more weight than the old ASTB.

maestro87

That might of been FY10 when they picked 8 pilots a year, nowadays is 3 pilots a year and the new ASTB-E is more aviation type with the joystick, hearing, UAVs, and casualties, which i think will carry more weight than the old ASTB.

Nooooo. Not only FY10. I'm talking about recently since they started picking 3 pilots a year. I knew one Sailor that got selected in FY10 and since they started selecting 3 pilots a year, I knew two Sailors that was selected with minimum ASTB scores, never held a leadership position and didn't get all 10's on their appraisals. I'm not trying to say that you are wrong about getting a higher score, but what I'm saying is we really don't know what they are looking for. Every board is different and a low ASTB score doesn't mean you wont get picked up. Since the old ASTB scores are still used, I dont think people with the old scores will be overlooked for people with the ASTB-E scores. Flight school is designed to turn non-pilots into pilots, so despite having flying experience or a high ASTB-E score using all the new gadgets, there is still no guarantee that will give you an advantage, the whole person concept will be more important. I'm been following this program for a while now and know a few people that got picked up so I'm just saying this based on what I've seen over the years, not to say that your opinion is wrong.

Meesh

Dirty prior
As a former aplicant it is important to remember that the way the package is graded by the board puts more emphasis on the aplicants academic potential. Remember this program costs a pretty penny to the Navy and the majority of the cost is paying for you to PCS to college and be paid as a full time student. So although your test scores and military performance should be as high as you can make them, your high school and college grades, with special regard to math and science grades, will be the greatest determining factor in selection to the STA-21 program. Good luck to you all!