• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future OCS quotas down

Status
Not open for further replies.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First the disclaimer: This brief was received the week of 24AUG04. Things change, but the trend certainly seems down. It makes no difference what stats some guy had even last month, let alone a BDCP guy selected a year ago. In any case, if your recruiter says go ahead with an app, do as he recommends and pray for the best. In the end the only word you can be sure of is the reject or select letter you get from CNRC.

A reminder: The FY is from OCT-end of SEP. An OCS quota is based on when you are commissioned, not when you go to OCS. Since OCS is about 3 months long, most classes beginning in JUL will count towards the next FY. ie, SEP 04 class is a FY 05 slot. They normally fill OCS slot in the current FY and the Next. BDCP and NUPOC are exceptions because they can be three year programs.

The brief: FY 05 is effectively closed to all designators except medical chaplin and supply. There may be some occasional NFO quota open. The Navy was sitting on nearly 100% goal for pilot and NFO. A few weeks ago CNRC dropped the quota by over 50%!. Since they were already at 100% the effect was to end up with an overmanned position of 100%. That is why you hear so much about guys having OCS pushed back or maybe a pro rec but nonselected.

FY06 quotas are up in the air. The NRDs were told to expect a dramatic decrease in goal for pilot and somewhat less so for NFO. Since many of the FY 05 over selects are still on board, they will likely take up some current FY 06 slots and then the reduction will eat up many of the rest. That is why there is little movement on aviation OCS apps now. They are waiting to get a handle on manning needs, how to handle the current over manning and future officer end strength, that is also being revised down. There is a possiblity that FY 06 will not open again for pilots and NFO will close up rapidly. FY 07 will open and close very fast when they get those numbers later this year.

Analysis: Aviation selects just suck!. We had a guy with 3.81 gpa in engineering with a 52 OAR and 24 years old rejected. Don't expect anything for FY 05 unless you are an NFO app, walk on water and have your kit back there now! It will likely not get any better. Remember, we are talking small numbers to begin with. Only expected to need about 80 pilots and 90 NFOs nationwide. That has gone down. Only needed 20 SWOs. Think the competition is tight for that job? In the next couple years the real opportunities are going to be in CEC (Seabees rock, M-16s, transits and bull dozers) and Supply Corps. Supply will probably be looking for well over 100 a year. The CEC guys will need about as many as NFO, but it will be far more stable. Age has become a tie breaker in all OCS selections. I'm not just talking about the guy pushing 27 for pilot. I mean every app is expected to be as young as possilble. If they have 3 slots and 4 very similar apps, the three youngest guys get in even if the oldest was the ripe age of 25. Think they will grant the medical waiver you wanted, think again.

I am sure this is devastating news to many of you. Some should thank their stars they slipped in. All I can say is stay tuned. Keep in touch with your recruiter. If he says you have no chance, that is probably so. If he is giving you the run around, he may just be too much of a wimp to give you the bad news. You might want to move on. If he says go for it, then don't delay! Get on it and Get 'er done! If you have an offer on the table think very very hard about not taking it. It is highly unlike they will ever make a second offer to someone later in this hyper competitive environment. If you are too young or not yet qualified, expect stiff competition in the future. Keep your GPA up, make yourself the best applicant possible. Others may want to look at ROTC or the USNA. Even if in college, you can still apply for those programs if you don't have too many credits and aren't too old. There are some 2 year ROTC options out there. One reason we got a reduction in OCS aviation is because the ROTC and USNA guys took more than expected. If you have the background for Supply or CEC then take a close look at those programs. Learn something about them and you may find they are attractive after all.

Good Luck Ladies and Gentlemen.

bbell

Hey Wink,

Did you receive any word on Intel and Crypto quotas? I sent in my application in June for an 06 slot via BDCP. Thanks for the info.

Brady

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Ok, I'm wondering this, and I'm sure others are wondering too, but what does this mean for people who already have a slot for OCS? Basically do we just need to make sure everything is perfect when we go to OCS (medical, PRT, etc.). Can they take our slots back? I've heard they're pushing back mostly aviator/NFO slots that are BDCP.

Thanks,
EngineGirl

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
That would be a fairly accurate statement, Enginegirl. I have been in the BDCP for over two years now with an NFO designation. I was originally scheduled to go on 15AUG, which was the date that was given to me at the very beginning. However, only two weeks before my OCS date, I was told that I would have to be pushed back to 23OCT because of too many previous OC's rolling out into the next classes. It happened to me and has happened to several others in NA/NFO BDCP positions.

So, yeah...our OCS packages will have to be the best we can make them. Of course you won't find any directive stating this, but you can rest assure that there will be very little compromise by the staff when our time comes. If we screw up, you can bet your money that 200 others are waiting in line for our single slot that we've been extremely blessed to have.

No pressure, of course. :eek:

Hope this helps.

navy101

I had an OCS date of 31 May 03 when I was in BDCP and they bumped me to 4 Oct 03. So it is not a big deal when they move your date. Just make sure if you do get your slot DO NOT blow it. I was in BDCP for two years, went to OCS in 4 OCT 03 (class 07-04), finished API first week of April, sent to Vance to start pilot training and was npq'd the day before I started training. Now I am waiting for my separation orders. My point is to just work hard to get those wings because you wont get a second chance,

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How do you get NPQ at such a late stage??? Can you not redes?

navy101

If you are sent to the Air Force side to train you have to do a medical for them. That is why I was npq'd so late in the game, they found something during the AF medical. My medical condition disqualified me from all aviation duties so NFO was not an option. Everything else to redesignate to was either over manned or I did not qualify for. Also, the odds of redesignating to a new field are slim if you do not attain your initial warfare qualification(Mine Being Naval Aviator).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Crypto is full for '05. There should be a few opennings for highly qualified Intel applicants. FY '06 Intel and Crytpo are still open and don't expect the huge decrease in quotas aviation has seen.

The Navy won't take an offer of employment back. At least they never have. If you have a class date don't sweat any of this. You made the cut. If you are an aviation type just be prepared to have your class date pushed back a bit. The BDCP guys seem to get rolled first and the furthest. That is because they are active duty anyway and are getting paid one way or the other. They seem to want to get the straight OCS people to class as soon as they can since they aren't on the payroll. Redesignation for NPQ, DOR or attrition has pretty much become a thing of the past.

Camelot05

Was told to put forth my paperwork PILOT.

Greetings,

I got a call from the recruiting office on Thursday wanting to know where my paperwork was. I am a pilot applicant and they seem hot to trot. With the news that I am getting from you, why would they be so anxious?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Camelot,

I won't spell it all out again. Reread the post carefully. You would then realize that to answer your question I'd have to know much about your application specifics and more important whether you would be BDCP or straight OCS, FY05, FY06, or FY07. Try again.

lombs18

um how about.. lets see im a sr in HS now.... FY10??? 11?? nah im jp hopefully things arnt as backed up then as they are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.