• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future Astronauts

lthc34

Most of the astronauts in NASA are coming in as test pilots from either the Navy or Air Force. I think this is due to the loss of pilots after the closing of the space shuttle program, but anyways, do you think that future astronauts will mostly comprise of test pilots, or people coming from a wide array of STEM careers?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most of the astronauts in NASA are coming in as test pilots from either the Navy or Air Force. I think this is due to the loss of pilots after the closing of the space shuttle program, but anyways, do you think that future astronauts will mostly comprise of test pilots, or people coming from a wide array of STEM careers?

Not necessarily the case anymore, take a look at the current astronaut bios and particularly the ones selected since 2010 and you will get a good idea of what NASA is looking for now and in the future.

lthc34

So jet and helo test pilots commissioned through the academies, with an engineering degree?

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Yes, NASA wants test pilots. Of the astronauts I know, or guys going through the application process, 100% are test pilots.