• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future AIRR with questions about pay

Alex Kasprow

Hello,

Being my first official post I would like to thank all who take their time to help those currently in or thinking about joining the armed services.

Currently I am preparing to take the PST for the march drafts. But I have a few questions about BAS, BAH, SD, Flight, Hostile Fire and Immient danger pay.

Being that I am going in for AIRR, which is spec war I get E-3 the second I enlist (to my understanding). I was told by my recruiter that my friend and I (we are doing the buddy system; if you have recommendations on how to get the most out of the buddy system post that info to) would be getting E-4 after A school. As an E-4 we will be elligibal for BAH which comes hand in hand with BAS I assume. My question about BAH and BAS is it taxable and how is it added in to our base pay?

Secondly what Special duty pay would I possibly be recieving (sd-1,-2,-3 or -4 and how do they determine it?)?

How does Flight and HF/ID pay work? What will we possibly be getting?

Thanks in advance to all who post serious answers.

- Alex

gotta_fly

pilot
I would recommend you read carefully through the pay sections on military.com. generally speaking, anything with 'pay' in the name is taxed and anything with 'allowance' is not. Your situation will vary, so you should probably refer your specific questions to your recruiter.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just know as a brand new guy to the fleet you may or may not get to live off base immediately if you're single, depending on your command. You'll likely have to be in the barracks and you'll send up a chit with your chain of command to receive BAH and go live on your own.

exNavyOffRec

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, AIRR is a tough school with a significant drop rate.

AIRR isn't specwar, specwar refers to SEALS.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
For AIRR, I assume you mean Rescue Swimmer and that's not spec war. However, you will get to particpate in a workout program during boot camp and will be promoted to E-3 upon completion of boot camp (everyone is an E-1 while attending boot camp).

BAS: you'll get that no matter what rank you are UNLESS you live in the barracks and eat meals at the galley (which you will do for about the first year or so of your training).

BAH: Once you make E-4 and get to the fleet (AFTER the RAG), you'll be eligible for BAH. I've never seen a squadron deny a crewman BAH, but I'm sure it could happen. You get it automatically if your married, no matter what stage of training you are in.

SDAP: Special Duty Assignment Pay (or SAR pay as we called it)...$225/month for volunteering to jump out of helos. You'll get it at your first command.

Flight pay: You'll get it when you start flying at the RAG, starts at $125/mo and goes up ~ every four years.

HF/ID: You won't get this unless you deploy, and the rules are changing with regard to how much you get.

All the above being said, you have a lot more on your plate right now than worrying about pay. Get fit, get comfortable in the water, do well in boot camp, smoke SAR school, and then worry about pay.

Good luck.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I did the "buddy system" with a friend of mine and back in the day the only thing it meant was that you would be in the same company in boot camp.

exNavyOffRec

For AIRR, I assume you mean Rescue Swimmer and that's not spec war. However, you will get to particpate in a workout program during boot camp and will be promoted to E-3 upon completion of boot camp (everyone is an E-1 while attending boot camp).

There are many ways to go through boot camp as E-2 or E-3, referrals is one, college credits is another, and different programs are yet another. This has been standard for a long time.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
No worries. I had 3 years ROTC when I went to boot, which allowed me to promote to E-3, but only after I graduated. No doubt things have changed in the last decade, thanks for keeping us current.

exNavyOffRec

No worries. I had 3 years ROTC when I went to boot, which allowed me to promote to E-3, but only after I graduated. No doubt things have changed in the last decade, thanks for keeping us current.
Well, you got screwed out of a few bucks as it has been this way since the 80's, doesn't surprise me though as I would run into several guys coming to the ship that still had their pay jacked up because a person assumed they were coming in as an E-1 and didn't look before inputing the data, it was easy to correct though since all we had to do was show them the enlistment contract.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
There are many ways to go through boot camp as E-2 or E-3, referrals is one, college credits is another, and different programs are yet another. This has been standard for a long time.

I went to boot as an E2 for putting 5 other folks into the Nav while I was in DEP. Also picked up an LOC from CNRC that was worth 2 points on the advancement exam.

Landshark

So Others May Live - Forever and Always
Don't count your chickens before they hatch, AIRR is a tough school with a significant drop rate.

AIRR isn't specwar, specwar refers to SEALS.

AIRR is listed under Special Warfare/Special Operations on the Navy's web site with SEALS, EOD, SWCC and Nav Diver. SpecWar for the SEALS and SpecOps for AIRR, EOD, SWCC and Diver.

As for all the bene's I'd worry about them after you get through AIRR. Like NavyOffRec said it's no walk in the park. My class started with 29 and we graduated 7. It's not only physically challenging but mentally challenging also, and that aspect is probably most important. You MUST keep a clear head at all times and be able to think through stressful situations. They try very hard to confuse you and fluster you to cause you to make mistakes. Some things should be instinctive but the majority you have to use your head and think. Probably the best advise I could give is to focus on the task at hand and ignore what I term the "noise", the screaming and yelling, the instructor in your face asking you how FUBAR you really are, instructors rushing you to move on to the next task. Complete that task as concisely and expediently as possible, then move on to the next.

Good luck!