• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Funeral Honors Detail

pascol1

I am assigned to a NOSC as part of VTU, where I get paid for any funerals that I can participate in. Can I work with a different NOSC and get paid to do more funerals on the side? This may seem like double dipping, but I want to use any and all resources that are available.

I am assigned to a NOSC as part of VTU, where I get paid for any funerals that I can participate in. Can I work with a different NOSC and get paid to do more funerals on the side? This may seem like double dipping, but I want to use any and all resources that are available.
Yes, and no...it depends.

In the past, we've had guys who support all three local NOSCs. Recently, I did a funeral with somebody who drills at his second-closest NOSC, and the closest NOSC told him he can only do them at the NOSC to which he's attached.

Short answer though, is to ask your FHD coordinator.

Workingoutsidemyfield

I am a Coordinator at Nosc Chicago. For my team it depends on circumstances. We have members that live Indiana, Michigan and in Wisconsin. If they do not get an FHD with us, we let them know that they may get picked up by our other smaller commands who has a minimal team. Our if they have a hot honors, they may do the same, but it is on that NOSC to contact us, not the members so we don't feel stepped on. That other NOSC should email or fax over a memorandum for your dates honored in order for he or she to get paid. But we do look member's upside there heads, because it is all about money when it should not be. Our new region would also tend not to pay you for DTS/ travel pay if you do honors without coordinators asking for other coordinators help. If you render honors on the side without each command knowing. The CO could also opt not to pay your basic pay. For my team, I would not let you do it by the way you wrote your spill above. I would only let you if it was a hot detail needing coverage or if you did stay in that area. Watch the way you ask your coordinator.

Well spoken WOMF! The DTS point is well taken, since in the IRR we don't have access so travel outside 50 miles creates lots of problems.

I am curious, and I guess I'll ask. You mention $ being an issue, so does rank have anything to do with how many funerals one does? I'm asked to do about four a month (which is pretty much perfect for my schedule), but I know some of the E-5's are doing 16/mo. I guess the neurotic side of me is unsure if I should be doing something different.

For any IRR sailors reading this, you should definitely think about funeral honors. I did 2.5 years SELRES, I feel like I've contributed much more to the country by providing funeral honors than I did in my SELRES unit. It's amazing how spouses/sons/daughters/whomever can appear totally together before the ceremony, and then lose it as the bugle plays and we present the flag. In fact, I'm curious how other countries handle this, since I'm 100% certain this is something we've got right. Anyway...

azguy

None
Purely out of cureosity, how much do you make for doing a funeral? I didn't know this was a thing...

Workingoutsidemyfield

Well spoken WOMF! The DTS point is well taken, since in the IRR we don't have access so travel outside 50 miles creates lots of problems.

I am curious, and I guess I'll ask. You mention $ being an issue, so does rank have anything to do with how many funerals one does? I'm asked to do about four a month (which is pretty much perfect for my schedule), but I know some of the E-5's are doing 16/mo. I guess the neurotic side of me is unsure if I should be doing something different.

For any IRR sailors reading this, you should definitely think about funeral honors. I did 2.5 years SELRES, I feel like I've contributed much more to the country by providing funeral honors than I did in my SELRES unit. It's amazing how spouses/sons/daughters/whomever can appear totally together before the ceremony, and then lose it as the bugle plays and we present the flag. In fact, I'm curious how other countries handle this, since I'm 100% certain this is something we've got right. Anyway...

I will say no to the rank thing, because members can go to Congress if they feel they are being treated unfairly. I have E1 to O6 doing over 9 fhds a month it's all about their schedules. I do pay as well and my Captain if she can does 10 or more where other members render one everday. We try to put 3 members on each detail just invade one member gets lost or stuck behind traffic. Pay we cannot tell you specifics but it is based on time in rate. For an example when I was an E4 with six years I was making about 89 after taxes, plus anything travel over 50 miles at. 56 and a retirement point. You tap out of IDT at 48 points per year were FHD you cannot tap out on points.

Funerals pay one drill, no matter how long they are. With travel and waiting at the funeral, it's usually about 2.5 to five hours (rarely that long, but sometimes...). As an O-4, I net $184/per.

pascol1

When I checked into my command, I was told by one of the NOSC FTS funeral honors detail members that if I keep track of all my miles for doing funerals and drills throughout the year, I can write that off on my taxes. Is this true? I tried looking that up and I cannot find anything that supports that statement.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I checked into my command, I was told by one of the NOSC FTS funeral honors detail members that if I keep track of all my miles for doing funerals and drills throughout the year, I can write that off on my taxes. Is this true? I tried looking that up and I cannot find anything that supports that statement.

About halfway down this page you will find the details.

azguy

None

Do you know if there's a minimum for that write off? I tried for the "off site" commuting write off this year and you have to exceed 2% of your AGI to use the deduction. For most O's that translates to a metric SHload of miles.

Edit: If you're intending to do this kind of write off, I'd recommend keeping a diligent log of your mileage either on a notepad in your car or on your iPhone.

pascol1

Got it. So this means that I cannot just tally up all the miles I have traveled for all the funerals and report that? Do I have to live more than 50 miles one way just to report it for tax purposes? This is what the petty officer was referring to.

Got it. So this means that I cannot just tally up all the miles I have traveled for all the funerals and report that? Do I have to live more than 50 miles one way just to report it for tax purposes? This is what the petty officer was referring to.
All the after action reports you submit for pay list your (self reported) mileage. I claim my mileage, and my tax is super conservative, so I think it's ok.

If it's over 50 miles, I think you will either check out a gov ride or submit a travel claim in DTS, so obviously you wouldn't be able to write that off.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you know if there's a minimum for that write off? I tried for the "off site" commuting write off this year and you have to exceed 2% of your AGI to use the deduction. For most O's that translates to a metric SHload of miles.

Edit: If you're intending to do this kind of write off, I'd recommend keeping a diligent log of your mileage either on a notepad in your car or on your iPhone.

I am pretty sure there isn't a minimum, if it isn't mentioned there then probably not.

I drill more than 50 miles away and since we have to fill out a route and distance statement it is pretty simple to add it up. It is a different story with funeral details in various places but if you have the pay records then you probably got it covered.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Purely out of cureosity, how much do you make for doing a funeral? I didn't know this was a thing...

Back in 2000 a law was passed requiring the DoD to provide funeral honors for veterans upon the request of the family. To provide this service the Navy has done a relatively smart thing and used it's reservists to fill that role for many of the funerals, the reservists happen to get paid for serving as part of a detail.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

After looking at it a bit closer it looks like 50 miles is the cutoff, it is pretty explicit on this page. If you need any more detail I would talk to a tax professional, while AW is a great place for gouge I don't think the IRS would consider us an authoritative source of tax advice.