• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Full Time Enrollment Required?

Jeff-Miller

For me the BDCP process has taken about six months. My paperwork is in the process of final select and I should get the word any day now. My situation is that over the past six months I have finished all my classes for my degree except one. I spoke to my recruiter and asked him what he thought, and he told me that becuase the BDCP regs. state that you must be a full time student, I might have to take some bulls**t classes to fulfill the requirement. Problem: The MGIB people need verification from college acedemic advisors that the classes you are taking are going to count towards your degree otherwise no money. If the GI Bill decides not to pay me for bulls**t classes because they are exactly that, then it is obviously not worth it for me to come out of pocket several grand for classes just to recieve $2,677.08 of E-3 pay for BDCP. Has anyone ever heard of this situation? Im thinking there is no way that everyone in the history of BDCP has had their classes match up exactly to where their last semester was a full load. I welcome opinions, but black and white reg. answers would be great. On that note for all of those going for BDCP that have no prior service and know nothing about the military, make sure everything is in black and white before you do anything!!!!

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
My recruiter was telling me that the order states that for the 24 month period for non-technical majors, you have until the end of the year to complete your degree... i.e. if you got into the BDCP starting the spring/summer of 2009, you would have until December 31, 2011 to finish up. That's my biggest issue, as I'm right at 2 to 2.5 years from graduation, so I want to get in asap to benefit from a full 2 years of the program, BUT I don't even want to go over (I've heard the repercussions are not that fun).

For your case, why don't you skip the BDCP altogether and take the one class over the winter break (if they offer it for the mini-mester), and be cleared for OCS in the spring sometime? If they don't offer the quick class, then you only have one course left to graduate in the spring and OCS in the summer, so it'll be an easy semester compared to the past several years.

Other than that, it looks doubtful for the BDCP. My recruiter told me that they frown upon letting in short-term applicants, since a full two or three year applicant may miss out on that opportunity. I don't know how true that is, but it makes sense in a way. You only have one semester or less to wait - we have two years to go. Let us know what comes out of your situation.

nugget61

pilot
Yeah, you're kinda in a bum spot. I heard the same thing for the regs, but I planned out my semesters so that I would end on time. Looks like the best thing to do would be to go for a direct shot, take the class online (or over the winter as stated) or take another semester to graduate. But check to see if you can get credit to do it online and just knock it out.
On a side note, why has it taken you 6 months to put your package together?

SWCS242

SWO in-training
I was in a similar situation, except I'm on scholarship for athletics so I wasn't concerned about paying for the classes. Anyhow, I ended up adding a major so that I wouldn't have to take BS classes to remain full-time.

If your school isn't offering that class when you need it, could you take it on-line or something through another school and transfer the credits over?

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
When I turned in my degree completion plan I only had 2 classes listed for my final semester. I haven't heard anything regarding the full time deal, but i'm guessing if there is a problem then they will be sure to let me know. Even with good planning, it can still be tough to finish as a full time student, just because of when certain classes are offered what the prereqs are.

I'm going to try to graduate a semester early, I just put the final 2 classes in a separate semester to give myself some cushion in case I have to retake a class or two. If I end up having to take 2 BS classes I may just try to find a minor to keep me full time. First I have to get selected though, so i'll cross that bridge when the time comes.

Jeff-Miller

"Rounding out", I will ask the VA about it, but do you know what it means? To answer the other question, it hasnt taken me six months to put a package together. It only took me three weeks to put a package together and five months for the Navy to get my pro rec, meps physical, security clearance, and now I am waiting on the final select which is suppose to be four to six weeks. Welcome to the Navy, hurry up and wait!!!!

SWCS242

SWO in-training
"Rounding out", I will ask the VA about it, but do you know what it means? To answer the other question, it hasnt taken me six months to put a package together. It only took me three weeks to put a package together and five months for the Navy to get my pro rec, meps physical, security clearance, and now I am waiting on the final select which is suppose to be four to six weeks. Welcome to the Navy, hurry up and wait!!!!

Haha, I'm pretty sure all of us went through that. I started the process April 2007 and didn't swear in until Jan 2008.

Good Luck.