• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fuck Drones

nugget81

pilot
Can civilians purchase the EMP cannon? I want one to use against people who drive slowly in the left lane... slowly being how I choose to define it.
Won't this slow the left lane even further, thereby negating your purpose? Now get me an EMP cannon that automatically speeds up those cars and I'm sold!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Won't this slow the left lane even further, thereby negating your purpose? Now get me an EMP cannon that automatically speeds up those cars and I'm sold!
There'd be a lot of temporary pain but in the long run it would be worth it.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

Something like this seems like it would be pretty effective if you’re running an operation that is truly that concerned by the security threat of drones.

Beyond that... I’ll freely admit that I’ve been out the cockpit for a while, but I’m not convinced that these things are truly anymore threatening or numerous than the already ever-present BASH hazards we routinely briefed for low-level and terminal area flying.

Seems like people are fixating in them cause they’re new.
RedFive already covered that we can’t control birds but human negligence is quite different. Plus birds actually have a bit of SA and can get out of the way. And birds are made of feathers, flesh, and hollow bones. A drone capable of flying at 5000ft is made of stuff I’d like less to hit at hundreds of miles per hour. Batteries. Electric motors. Cameras.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't know where to post this, so here it is. Flying over LA yesterday, 5500ft, talking to SOCAL, all the sudden I see this bright orange/yellow thing whiz by about 100 ft below me. A fucking drone. I kind of expect it when flying around at 500 ft in the helo, but over 5k? WTF? I reported it to ATC, could not make out the number of rotors.

Fuck drones. And fuck all you drone apologizers out there!

That is all. 😡
Earlier this year passed over a very large octo-copter (is that the correct term, it was double a quad, how about that?) climbing through 5000'. I was the pilot monitoring and we were in a turn when it passed by beneath us. ATC didn't have any knowledge of it. Warned the following aircraft. No good deed goes unpunished and I was given a phone number to call. Talked to the FAA bubba in charge of all these drones reports. I too thought 5000 was high, he said he has had reports up to 10000 feet. And that this problem is getting worse.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Talked to the FAA bubba in charge of all these drones reports. I too thought 5000 was high, he said he has had reports up to 10000 feet. And that this problem is getting worse.
Did he say what the FAA's path forward is? Are any of our professional organizations (AOPA, NHA, Tailhook, etc) doing any lobbying on our behalf about this?

Last edited:

Mckegger

I say, the FAA sells hunting permits that allows all licensed pilots, fixed wing and/or rotorcraft, the ability to "shoot on sight" any drones. All drones shot shall be tagged and graded on a similar system to traditional buck hunting by which points will be rewarded based on the number of props, and engines the drone contains. As well as the altitude in which the drone was shot down. All proceeds would go towards beer money.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Forget a wing strike, what about a windscreen or cockpit strike? Any chance a small transponder or at least something for TCAS can be added to some of the larger ones? Although, that may do more harm than good.

Swanee

Self aware since 2014
pilot
None
Contributor
Forget a wing strike, what about a windscreen or cockpit strike? Any chance a small transponder or at least something for TCAS can be added to some of the larger ones? Although, that may do more harm than good.
FWIW most group 2 and above UAS in use by the military and other gov agencies have a mode3/C transponder.

But those are too big for civilian use right now.

robav8r

Future performance not guaranteed . . .
None
Contributor
Great. Now we can add the Iranians to the list of people pointing fingers and blaming TACRON.
Hmmmmmm, I wonder if anyone in TACC knew about, or detected/tracked said Drone. I’ll check . . .

Pags

Pope of Chili Town
pilot